New rider, new bike.. Upgrades?

JPeach
JPeach Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in MTB beginners
I've wanted to get into MTB'ing for a while now and decided to buy a second hand starter bike for the summer to get a taste for it.

I've bought a second hand Rockrider B'twin 700s, which has a few upgrades - I like the idea of adding custom parts but I am very niave at this stage so need to get a good idea of what would be my priority in upgrading next..

Take a look at the bike spec below, I've included the upgrades that the bike currently has. What would be my priority?

FRAME
New oversize aluminium 6061 S.I.X frame, 15% tougher and lighter than the previous version. 120 mm rear travel, based on the famous "monopivot" system, which offers great sensitivity to small bumps and remains sturdy under large impacts. System mounted on sealed bearings for good durability. Comfortable geometry and effective steering. Caster angle at 69° for more stability. Weight 2.7 kg in size M, without shocks.

FORK
ROCKSHOX XC 32 TK solo AIR fork with 120 mm travel for more comfort and precise steering.
Solo Air fork: Fork can be adjusted to suit the user's weight (chart on left blade, requires a pump for the fork and shock)
External spring adjustment
Dampers: 32 mm, STKM steel with straight walls
Blades: Magnesium, 9 mm QR,
Spring adjustment: External adjustment
Weight: 2 352 g

SUSPENSIÓN
X FUSION O2RL model AIR shock. Two possible positions: "open" or "closed". With added offset bearings to slacken the headstock angle.

DRIVE TRAIN
SHIMANO DEORE 24X32X42 bottom bracket. Upgraded: Absolute Black oval chain-ring (10x1).
SHIMANO DEORE 10 speed rear derailleur. Upgraded: Shimano Deore M615 10SP.
Front derailleur and shifters: SHIMANO DEORE
11 X 36 cassette.
BRAKES
TEKTRO AURIGA COMP 160 mm front and rear
Double piston technology
Weight: 1080 g

HANDLEBARS
680 mm B'TWIN SPORT handlebars, offering greater comfort and stability

STEM
B'TWIN SPORT stem in 90/100/110 mm (M/L/XL). Upgraded: Nuke Proof Stem.

STEERING
Semi-integrated headset for improved watertightness, precision while riding, and a built-in look.
Rockrider lock-on 120 mm grips.

SADDLE
New FIZIK Tundra 2 MG saddle

SEAT POST
Rockrider SPORT 29.8 mm diameter seat post. Upgraded: Tmars Dropper seat post.

WHEELS
New MAVIC Cross One wheels: THE gold standard for this type of bike.
Wheel specifications:
- Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mm with ejectable reducer
- Inner width: 19 mm
- Aluminium hub and axle
- 24 rounded straight steel spokes (front/back)
- Designed to fit disc brakes
- 6-hole disc mount system
- Fits a Tubetype (inner tube) tyre
- Wheel weight: Front 850 g, rear 1035 g, pair 1885 g.

TYRES
KENDA NEVEGAL 26 X 2.10 tyres, with versatile profile.

PEDALS
Shimano M520 pedals

ACCESSORIES
Compatible with bottle cages, frame- and seat post-mounted mudguards, bag under the saddle etc.

WEIGHT
13.49 kg in M without pedals

ELECTRIC ASSISTANCE
No electric assistance.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If it all works then why 'upgrade'?
    That bike is well-equipped and nothings needs upgrading. Just ride it and enjoy it. Swap out parts when they get damaged or wear out.

If you are set on changing things then first on my list would be a wider bar and then maybe the brakes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    People will have varying opinions on this but my take is this.

It's a good budget bike but its still a budget bike with 26" wheels, (nothing wrong with that but its currently going out of fashion like you wouldn't believe). I think the idea for me if you think of spending lots on a budget bike is a false economy, as the frame will always be a solid budget frame and no guarantee the expensive bits you but like forks and wheels will move over or be appropriate for your next bike.

Your better off figuring what you like to ride so what stuff suits your riding and saving, then when the times comes that your budget bike doesn't meet your requirements you have a fund to replace the current bike with a more appropriate machine. selling the old one on possibly at the same time.
  • JPeach
    JPeach Posts: 3
    Yeah, I suppose you are right.. I just like a project lol. Maybe I'll just get some pretty grips!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tyres are the only thing worth looking at if the nevergals don't suite your usage and riding style, also if they are wired bead you'll save some useful weight by going folding.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tyres as above - but if I had to upgrade anything, it would be the fork. That is a lumpen item, a Reba would knock 800g off.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    The wheels certainly aren't particularly heavy but swap out the tyres for something lighter/faster - you'll pick up something for peanuts second hand. Some second hand rebas would save a big chunk of weight with a distinct performance increase, but that's about all worth doing. Not shabby at all that.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I personally wouldn't bother with the fork, even second hand its a bit of a slab of cash. Just change contact points(tyres) and ride it till parts break.. then if you have to keep the bike replace them with nicer bits otherwise save and if you decide you love riding you will know what you actually want by then.