23mm or 25mm for 2014 Ksyrium Elite ?

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi
Got some 2014 Ksyrium Elites last September and put Schwalbe Ones on in 25mm having always used 23mm on previous wheels.
Thought they were the muts combined with the new Supersix I got at almost the same time.
I'm almost due new tyres and not sure now that 25mm are best on what is a relatively narrow rim. I know 25mm are all the rage but are they best for narrowish rims ? Do they sit right ? Or is there a bit of a balloon effect with them being wider than the rim and not sitting at the optimum position ?
Looking for something as good as the Ones but for a few quid less so if you've any ideas please share.
Quite fancy some Tufo Calibra's...
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Galatzo wrote:
    Hi
    Got some 2014 Ksyrium Elites last September and put Schwalbe Ones on in 25mm having always used 23mm on previous wheels.
    Thought they were the muts combined with the new Supersix I got at almost the same time.
    I'm almost due new tyres and not sure now that 25mm are best on what is a relatively narrow rim. I know 25mm are all the rage but are they best for narrowish rims ? Do they sit right ? Or is there a bit of a balloon effect with them being wider than the rim and not sitting at the optimum position ?
    Looking for something as good as the Ones but for a few quid less so if you've any ideas please share.
    Quite fancy some Tufo Calibra's...

They will work but you'll have to watch for rub on the inside of the chain stays on the evo. The newer gen of Ksyrium accommodate the wider tyre, not the 2014 which according to Mavic are best run with 23mm IIRC. I put conti GP4000 IIs on mine at 23mm and notice not much difference, aside from slightly more skittish descending over the 25mm.
  • theraggyone
    theraggyone Posts: 147
    my 2014 ksysium elite s wheelset came with mavics 25mm tyres factory fitted as that was the package i selected. so mavic obviously think they are fine with both sizes . im on 23mm tyres at the moment but will be going back to 25mm when they wear out as i prefered them
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    And then there's the fact the some 23mm measure big and some small, I think for the sake of £40 I'll not worry about it too much and just give them a try.
    Cheers
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.