What Computer/GPS, help needed!!!

BlueNGT
BlueNGT Posts: 119
edited April 2016 in Road general
After a Hamstring injury that has sidelined me for the best part of 8 months I hoping to get out soon and have started to think about a Computer again.

I am looking for something compatible with HRM and Cadence sensors and has some routing, however the routing I am really after is the get home part. Would like to jump on the bike and head out but know I have the get home directions if needed. Maybe Power Meter compatible later on but not essential right now and if I go down the Power Meter route I could give this computer to the other half for her bike.

My understanding is Garmin 520 doesn't have get home but the Garmin Touring Plus does?

The Polar V650 now has planned routing and has a get home directional/compass type feature?

I keep searching for any new Garmin release news but cannot see anything. I did try a 1000 but it would pair properly with my iPhone and after a Google search I saw this was common so returned it.

Any experience or advice/pointers gratefully received.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • BlueNGT
    BlueNGT Posts: 119
    PBlakeney wrote:

Is the 810 not due to be replaced soon in the same way the 520 replaced the 510 last year?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746
    BlueNGT wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Is the 810 not due to be replaced soon in the same way the 520 replaced the 510 last year?
    Maybe.
    But that's not much help today.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I have an edge 1000 and really like it, pairs with my (non iphone) phone without any issues. There have been a few updates so probably sorted the iphone issue.

the only annoying thing is that when i use my bluetooth headphones when i'm on the turbo the ant+ sensor drop out all the time.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I hope the 810 is an improvement on the 800. Flakey as hell and as a GPS it really doesn't do well on the satellite locating capability. I am addicted to the damn thing, but I find it very annoying in the main.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 442
    I have the 520 and am really impressed with it. Bought it as an upgrade from the 200 which I loved but wanted HRM and cadence which the 520 does v well. Route stuff is more limited however, it does give useful direction of travel which can help. Also possible to download more detailed maps. I like the auto save and upload to Garmin Connect and being able to receive texts whilst on the move too. Excellent GPS pick up. Great range of other info too, temp, gradient, average speed and a virtual partner you can pace yourself against.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    PBlakeney wrote:
    BlueNGT wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Maybe.
    But that's not much help today.

True. What buggered the 810 is Garmin using the same platform for the 520 and live segments as a firmware update. As long as you don't install the update, the 810 should work fine. I turn Bluetooth off and use an alternative app for livetracking saving battery life on the 810. Turn by turn guidance has been faultless ever since. It's compatible with all the sensors you mention and powermeters being ANT+. I can't see a replacement actually coming now.

Re the Polar though, isn't that Bluetooth only and not ANT+? That might be a problem when some if not most powermeters are ANT+ rather than Bluetooth.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • steve55
    steve55 Posts: 19
    True. What buggered the 810 is Garmin using the same platform for the 520 and live segments as a firmware update. As long as you don't install the update, the 810 should work fine. I turn Bluetooth off and use an alternative app for livetracking saving battery life on the 810. Turn by turn guidance has been faultless ever since. It's compatible with all the sensors you mention and powermeters being ANT+. I can't see a replacement actually coming now.

Re the Polar though, isn't that Bluetooth only and not ANT+? That might be a problem when some if not most powermeters are ANT+ rather than Bluetooth.[/quote]

Hi - what is the alternative app you use for livetracking, if you don't mind divulging? I sometimes have this issue, sounds useful.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    steve55 wrote:

Re the Polar though, isn't that Bluetooth only and not ANT+? That might be a problem when some if not most powermeters are ANT+ rather than Bluetooth.

Hi - what is the alternative app you use for livetracking, if you don't mind divulging? I sometimes have this issue, sounds useful.[/quote]

I use Cyclemeter. Works everytime and will upload automatically to Strava etc if you wish.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cycleme ... 95774?mt=8
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.