Front Brake Judder.

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited March 2016 in Workshop
I have recently changed the wheels on my bike from cheap standard ones to Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG's, I have altered the brake blocks to the correct height etc however on the second ride the front has developed a slight juddering feeling under braking, its only slight but I can feel it none the less?

The rims are true and feel fine to the touch when I run my finger over then, so I am confused as to what is causing it?

I assume its how the brakes are set up but I set these up exactly the same on my previous wheels with no issues at all.

The only other thing I can assume it might be is the headset needs adjusting as I have only just replaced the bearings but that seems unlikely as I cant detect any play in the headset at all?

Anyone had this and discovered what the issue was?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Try cleaning brake blocks and braking surface on rims.
  • NameTaken
    NameTaken Posts: 45
    Have you checked the angle between the block and the rim? Specifically the yaw angle.

Otherwise, the wheels might be new, but are they true?
  • JesseD
    Wheels are true and I have set the blocks up with the front of the block marginally closer to the rim than the rear (if that' makes sense) so there is a bit of "toe in" on them when I squeeze the lever.

Adjusted headset this evening as well and also checked the front calliper was adjusted and tightened properly.

Will clean blocks and rim in the morning and hopefully that will sort it!
  • JesseD
    Nope brake shudder is still there???????

I am wondering if it is actually the headset?

I recently replaced the bearings as they were knackered, the top bearing was bought from my LBS as it was a weird size and was taken from a Z75 they had in stock so I know that its the correct one. The lower one is from Aire Bearings and whilst I would have thought it would be the exact size, maybe it isn't and this is causing the shudder?

All seems fine when I turn the bars or put the brake on when still and rock back and fore, and its only noticeable under increased braking (when coming to a stop). I am a bit flummoxed?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I don't want to be downcast but my friend has a set of these and suffers from the most extreme speed wobble with them. It's really quite severe down any sort of hill. He's an exceptional bike handler so I don't think it's him and it doesnt happen with other wheels so I'm starting to think that these wheels have a bit of an issue...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • JesseD
    Oh dear, thanks for the heads up ddraver.

I may try a different front wheel this weekend and see if there is any difference, if so then I will go back to Wiggle to sort as they are precisely 1 week and 123 miles old.

If the issue is with just this front wheel then a new one may be the answer, if it happens after that then I am back to the drawing board to find a set of comparably priced wheels that are stiff enough for racing with a wide rim, I bought the Fulcrums as for the price I could afford to pay they seems to tick almost all of the boxes.

I am hoping its just an issue with this particular wheel.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Whenever I've had brake judder, a really good clean of the rims has solved it, although sometimes I've had to have a couple of goes at it. I've used Fulcrum Racing Quattros (but not the LGs) and found them rock steady without any hint of a speed wobble. However, I actively hated them in cross winds (despite the rims not being all that deep) and replaced them with Fulcrum 5LGs which solved that problem (and are also rock steady at speed).
  • JesseD
    Definitely the wheel, swapped in a wheel from my mates bike tonight and no shuddering, rode his bike with my wheel and it was still there!

Looks like the wheel is going back to Wiggle as it should be perfect give its only a week old!