L'etape du tour 2016 gearing

GeorgeOnTwoWheels
edited March 2016 in Amateur race
Hi everyone,

I am doing a the LEDT for the first time. Climbing almost 4,000m for the first time as well. I ride a Felt Z4 (endurance) with a compact drivetrain and 12-28 cassette. I am wondering if there is any value in upgrading the cassette to a 12-30 or even 12-32?

I normally ride between 150-200km per week and have a decent FTP (300). I am just a bit worried about the length and slope on some of those slopes.

I'd appreciate your views!

Thanks!

Comments

• 34/28 will be fine for there Etape. Nothing there too steep. Long climbs but not too bad. Just don't go mad early on!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've never heard anyone moan about having too low a gear for stuff like that. French climbs aren't as steep as some of the ones we have here - but when they go on for 10 miles or more.....

I think the peak gradient is only a tad over 1 in 10 but you're better off erring on the side of low gears. :-)
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    There are sections of both the Ramaz and Joux Plane climbs where the gradient passes 12% for a few hundred metres at a time; in the case of the Ramaz this steep section comes about 8km up the climb (inside the tunnels) while Joux Plane is steep at the bottom and fairly irregular all the way up. With 120km in the legs you will be glad of the easiest gear you have.

http://wp.me/p1DAWN-5v for a detailed look at the route
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You will probably get more answers in the sportive forum. There may already be threads on the topic...