Creaking Saddle

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited March 2016 in Workshop
This has recently started after I started using my road bike again, I had taken the seatpost and saddle off to use on my fixie, then replaced on the road bike and altered the saddle slightly to get it more level.

basically it creaks, not all the time but a fair amount and its driving me crazy.

I have tried tightening everything up but to no avail, anyone else suffered from the same thing and if so how did you sort it?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• JesseD
    Cheers, will give it a whirl tonight.
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    is it to late to carry on blaming the Christmas weight? ;)
  • JesseD
    Jay_Forme wrote:
    is it to late to carry on blaming the Christmas weight? ;)

I'd like to say yes but...................... :oops:

:lol:
  • have a look at where the saddle rails enter the rear of the saddle shell. A spray of wd40 can solve any creaks coming from there
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    have a look at where the saddle rails enter the rear of the saddle shell. A spray of wd40 can solve any creaks coming from there

+1. This has worked for me on a couple of occasions.
  • JesseD
    Took everything apart last night and clean and greased/lubed where needed apart from where the saddle rails meet the saddle.

Got on the bike this morning and the creaking is still there, so next attempt will be the WD40 fix and if that doesn't work then I may try a Fabric Saddle (yeah yeah I know I just want a new saddle)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    May need something a little thicker to help stop the creak, I used a wet lube on my rails which stopped the noise completely added bonus it wont wash out as quick.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Is the seat clamp removable? My Heckler creaks like a granny unless it's taken off regularly and cleaned where it makes contact with the seat tube.

I put a bit of copper slip around it and it works wonders.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • JesseD
    No the seat post head is not removable, though I did take everything apart last night and clean, then used some grease on the rails and copper paste on the seat post where it enters the seat tube. when riding in this morning the creaking seemed to stop when I was sat directly in the middle of the saddle but any movement back or forth produced the creak which make me think that the issue is the rails into the saddle.

have to take my bike into the LBS at lunchtime anyway so may see if I can pinch a bit of lube and pour it in and see if that stops it on tonight's ride.