Tyres for Zipp 808

wacka
wacka Posts: 169
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I've just ordered a set of Zipp NSW 808's and I'm wondering if anyone has good recommendations for tyre and inner tube choices to compliment them? I'm looking at conti force/attack with supersonic inners!!

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    their own brand (zipp tangente) are designed for working with them but also the most aero tyres for wide wheels also seem to be the gp4000S series. the zipp tyres are really expensive for what they are.

force and attack are very very fast but really pretty fragile.
  • wacka
    wacka Posts: 169
    GP4000SII 25's??
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    philbar72 wrote:
    but also the most aero tyres for wide wheels also seem to be the gp4000S series.

Where did you read that nonsense?
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    What is an 'aero tyre' exactly?!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Do they do the 808 as a clincher now? Mine are ancient (and now the front's been recalled, boo hoo) and therefore tubular. FWIW I was using Specialized S-Works Turbo tubs in a 23c; I now have an Ultremo HT 22c on the rear following an irreparable puncture to the Spesh tub. I've not noticed any discernible difference in speed (either way) as a result.
  • FRD
    FRD Posts: 1
    My 2 cents

I running 808's on my Tri bike . Ran Conti Gatorskins, no issues for day to day trainng or races and touch wood no punctures on some dubious roads.

Recently put some new rubber on and chose the GP4000 SII as I undertood force attack you are limited to 23/ 24 combo.

Run 25's Great comfort and good rolling resistance. Flat Centre line and some tread for those slippery corners or rainy days.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    FRD wrote:
    Flat Centre line and some tread for those slippery corners or rainy days.

Tread makes no difference on a road tyre - rainy or not.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    24mm Spesh sworks turbo with latex inner tubes.
    Very fast combination.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    philbar72 wrote:
    but also the most aero tyres for wide wheels also seem to be the gp4000S series.

Where did you read that nonsense?

HED recommend them for their Jet Plus FR (clincher) wheels which are wide rims. From memory I think that recommendation was resulting from aero testing and/or rolling resistance tests - take a look online should be out there somewhere. They may still be talking nonsense but they're believed to be the guys with the know how.

Having said that the 23mm GP4000s come up very wide on the HED FR wheel (about 25.5mm). This takes the tyre slightly wider than the rim. Seems to be plenty of stuff on the net stating it's more aero to have the tyre slightly narrower than the rim otherwise drag is increased.

As for a tyre for the 808's - assuming they're for racing I'd go with the Zipp Tangente tyres which as already mentioned, have been designed for their wheels or the Veloflex Record which I've heard are fast but not too delicate. What are the wheels for - race day, time trial, tri, just bling etc.