Keep getting punctures , new michelin pro 4s

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Had these tyres for a couple of weeks , today had my 5th yes 5th puncture.
What am i doing wrong ?
The first one was a shard of glass after 10 mile s riding fair enough, the next ones have been thorns.
I commute to work and back 90% road and a little off road/track.
I pressure them to 80psi , I am not up on the benefits/costs of tyre pressure , so if someone can enlighten me to if this is to high/low I would be grateful .
Other wise my only conclusion is that these tyres are crap .
regards
ILG xox :D

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Which flavour of pro 4?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Have you made sure that you've removed all the thorns/glass/whatever from the tyre?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Other wise my only conclusion is that these tyres are crap .

Stick a pair of Zaffiros on and see if anything changes. If it does, then your conclusion may be correct. If it doesn't, then there is something else going on.
  • ilovegrace
    edited March 2016
    Daniel B wrote:
    Which flavour of pro 4?
    Pro 4 Endurance
    regards
  • ilovegrace
    Flasher wrote:
    Have you made sure that you've removed all the thorns/glass/whatever from the tyre?
    Good point.
    Just checked the puncture I had on the way home , and it was a sneaky bit of thorn that I thought I had pulled out.
    the thing is , I can understand glass shards getting through but new tryes with "40 %" (as per Michelin website) better puncture protection " should laugh in the face of thorns , or am I wrong ?
    regards
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I've run Pro4 Endurance for about 2000km and had no punctures. Nice tyres in my book.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Calpol wrote:
    I've run Pro4 Endurance for about 2000km and had no punctures. Nice tyres in my book.

GF, daughter and me, run PRO4 Endurance and pro4 Grip, no problems at all, great tires.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    A decent thorn will get through most protection beads apart from tyres like Marathon Kevlar. Unfortunately there are a lot of hedge clippers out there at the moment so this is not helping. Give the tyres a really good check under a strong light at home and then check regularly until the problem goes away...other options include fitting some horrid tyres or picking another route.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Pretty sure all the hedge trimming is over now for the summer. They have rules about that kind of thing. About a month ago was the last clipping?
  • ilovegrace
    What tyre pressure do you use for these tyres , bearing in mind mine are 28 mm/
    Thanks for the replies by the way.
    Ps my daughter as sabotaged the computer hence loves and kisses !
    regards
    IlG
  • ilovegrace
    Fenix wrote:
    Pretty sure all the hedge trimming is over now for the summer. They have rules about that kind of thing. About a month ago was the last clipping?
    I am from the Teeside/Yorkshire border , they dont worry to much about rules and regs here !
    ILG
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Michelin are better than Conti's in my book. Conti's seem to have a problem with the sidewalls splitting which led to a topic on here :?:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Glass and thorns you don't really stand a chance that said I used to be a michelin man back in the pro2 and 3 days loved the grip and speed but hated the protection for the same reasons as you've stated, anyway I switched to various conti tyres and had some success but ride comfort was never the same, long story short I'm now settled on Vittoria tyres of various sorts for different seasons and riding types its a bit of a faff but ultimately I don't think there's an all year around all season tyre that suits fast club rides, hilly long distance sportive, commuting and general riding.

Pick your tyres for the season and conditions, then factor in the type of riding. That for me is why Vittoria win out, they have a great range and most of the mile beaters can be had very cheaply plus the ride quality is night and day.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    I too use the Pro 4 endurance tyres on my Scott, and have not yet had a visit - the stock Mavic tyres punctured within a week.

I used to use the pro 3 service course tyres, which were fast, but cut up way too fast, and in my personal experience this tyre (in black and yellow and 23mm in my case, and running at about 90-100 psi) has been very good - so good I will be ordering a pair for my gf's bike as well.

On my winter bike I run Schwalbe Durano Plus folding 25mm tyres, and they just run and run, and aren't that slow or pricey, and seem to have good levels of grip be it wet or dry:
    _detail_durano_plus.jpg

Again, so impressed with them, have bought another pair for my gf's winter steed.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You're effectively running a summer weight tyre whilst the roads are still covered in winter grit and debris and wonder why you're getting punctures? Schwalbe Durano Plus if you want to avoid punctures.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    You dont keep getting punctures you just didn't fix correctly and have had a bit of bad luck with some glass

I am running Pro4 on my commuter, plenty of miles and not a single one yet
  • daniel_b
    The Pro 4 Endurance is dead :shock:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-power-endurance-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod146140
    The Michelin Power Endurance Road Bike Tyre is the most robust in the Michelin Power range and provides up to 20% additional protection against punctures compared to its predecessor the Michelin Pro4 Endurance.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ilovegrace
    Monty Dog wrote:
    You're effectively running a summer weight tyre whilst the roads are still covered in winter grit and debris and wonder why you're getting punctures? Schwalbe Durano Plus if you want to avoid punctures.
    Could be this , I am a novice after all.
    thanks
    ILG
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Could be this , I am a novice after all.
    thanks
    ILG

i would nt call the endurance a summer tire, Pr4 endurance is a very tough tire and we run on 3 bikes with zero issues, lanes, debris, hedge trimmings etc make no difference, and they give good grip in wet too.
    i use a pr4 endurance on rear and pr4 grip up front, as does my daughter, GF runs Endurance F/R
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    It always amazes me how many members of our club rate or dismiss tyres after getting punctures when more often than not it's caused by them not properly checking for glass. thorns etc still embedded in the tyre. One of our members said vittoria corsa cx were the worst tyre he had ever used after getting three punctures on his first ride with them. He ran over some glass and didn't remove it properly. He sold the tyres and doesn't hesitate in telling everyone how crap vittoria tyres are.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • daniel_b
    Just to add, that my front durano plus (100 miles in at most) shod Synapse had a visit on Saturday :-(

some 12 miles from home, decided for some reason (Perhaps because I knew how difficult they can be to remove and put back on) to just stop and pump them up - had to do this 3 times to get me home, and boycotted the drops completely during this time.

On investigating the cause at home, a big sharp thorn had gone right plumb through the centre of the tyre, and about 1cm beyond the carcass.

For those who know, these tyres have a dense foam section, and there was nothing showing on the outside as to where it had gone in.
    Trying to pull it out from the inside failed, as of course the thorn was wider at the top, so it merely snapped off - and trying to push it out through the top also failed.
    So I had to resort to a chunky needle and punch it through from the outside, and try and push the thorn out that way - it kind of worked eventually, guess the tyre is partially compromised, but I had no choice.
    Had I left the remenants in there, I assume overtime it would have worked through and punctured a tube again.
    So doubly pleased I did not tackle it at the roadside, as I would have ended up calling for a lift I think, as no way I could have managed that with tyre levers and a multitool.

Seeing how hard it was to get a needle through it, I must have been bloody unlucky to hit a thorn plumb centre and upright like that, and for it not to bend or deflect away.

My faith in the tyres is shaken but not eradicated.

Oh and I repaired the tube as opposed to replacing it - as of this morning, still inflated.
    Will likely take a ride or two before I am sure nothing is left in the tyre that will cause another one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, as part of my saddlebag kit I have a simple safety pin. Comes in handy for all kind of things. For not a lot of weight, things like cable ties and safety pins, along with some sticky patches, a tyre boot, basic multi-tool and chain breaker can get one out of most problems/irritations.