Music or cycling!

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited March 2016 in The cake stop
I was speaking to a very close friend of mine tonight and we both enjoy cycling (obviously) and music. I posed the question
"Of the two, which could you live without in your life?
We differed, I said cycling he said music.
How'd you lot feel on the subject?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Probably anathema on a cycling thread, but yes Frank, I agree with you. Music can be enjoyed at any time and can be emotionally charged. We probably all hear a piece of music and are instantly taken back to a particular time or even a particular instant or event.
    Music can convey such emotion.
  • Couldn`t survive without music.

Sounds a bit immature maybe, but life would be worthless without music.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,691
    I wouldn't have a bike to ride (or a house, or food) without music...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,602
    Music.
    There will be times I cannot cycle. Deafness apart, I will always be able to enjoy music.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    edited March 2016
    I'd have to keep Music.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Diamant49
    Diamant49 Posts: 101
    Probably cycling for me - I used to listen to music endlessly, but then I was spending most of my life looking down a microscope and music was an essential accompaniment to that. Weekend nights were spent at gigs, concerts etc.

But at some point (in my late 30s early 40s) I discovered Radio 4 and I really cannot live without that (including R4 extra & World Service). Sad really, but given that my favourite group was Cabaret Voltaire (Why Kill Time When You Can Kill Yourself...) maybe its a good thing?
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Music. my world would be even duller without Rapoon, darkthrone, Deadwood, folkstorm, The Wedding Present, Gary Numan, Napalm Death and many others.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Music would win over cycling. Thankfully not a choice I'm likely to have to make.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Cycling definitely. I did music when I was a young'n (gigs by Pink Floyd, ELP, Deep Purple, Rory Gallacher, Led Zep etc. etc.) now I listen more to talk radio (R4, Radio Sheffield).
  • I could live without cycling. But not (hopefully) music. I am listening to John Martyn as I type and it is beautiful.
    Cycling has never brought a tear to my eye. Apart from that time I hit my nadgers on the crossbar when I was 13. Teach me to borrow a neighbours way too big bike.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Music is the winner.

I spend way more money and time on music than cycling, even though I'm just listening at home rather than going to gigs.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Difficult one as these days I do far more cycling than I do listening to music but I think I could replace cycling with other activities, I can't think what could replace listening to music. If the choice is never being able to hear another piece of music or never riding a bike again I'd lose the bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yup. Music.

Whilst cycling is just lovely, music is an absolute necessity. I spend several hours every day listening to music.

Would really struggle without it.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I couldn't live without music. I love rock and classical in equal measures.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Cycling. No, wait, music. No, actually, cycling. Especially on days like today. But then I couldn't do the washing up without listening to music, so music it is. Oh, changed my mind, it's cycling. I can't decide.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    A surprising number of votes for music given this is a cycling forum. Although the answers might be different over in the MTB section :wink:

I vote cycling, despite liking my music.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Radio 4 has a current affairs/news programme on the rare times I drive into work, on my drive home. They have an occasional contributor in the form of a professor in the field of acoustics IIRC. As a feature he went for one whole month without listening to any music. He had white noise playing on headphones if he thought he might be exposed to music. It was was to see if the lack of music altered his brain.

The main thing I got from it was actually how hard it is to avoid music. Music is everywhere, within tv programmes, as background to radio shows even talking shows (they call them "beds" iirc). So the original question is flawed in that you could not avoid music in the modern world.

So with that in mind I'd have to say cycling would have to go because it's the only one of the two that I b reckon could be dropped. Is that being a bit pedantic about the OP's question?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    PS does anyone else think there's a kind of music in the sound of cycling? An industrial sound but if that's the way you perceive it there's music there. Perhaps my bike just needs more maintenance if it's just me thinking that.
  • Cycle to music festivals. No need to give up either.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Radio 4 has a current affairs/news programme on the rare times I drive into work, on my drive home. They have an occasional contributor in the form of a professor in the field of acoustics IIRC. As a feature he went for one whole month without listening to any music. He had white noise playing on headphones if he thought he might be exposed to music. It was was to see if the lack of music altered his brain.

The main thing I got from it was actually how hard it is to avoid music. Music is everywhere, within tv programmes, as background to radio shows even talking shows (they call them "beds" iirc). So the original question is flawed in that you could not avoid music in the modern world.

So with that in mind I'd have to say cycling would have to go because it's the only one of the two that I b reckon could be dropped. Is that being a bit pedantic about the OP's question?
    I believe you are being pedantic, afterall, I don't know a single person who tunes into midsummer murder for the incidental music.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.