Running 11 speed cassette on 10 speed hub

sidd0707
sidd0707 Posts: 2
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

I recently picked a Cannondale Road bike with Shimano Ultegra group set from a friend. In an accident his rear wheel had got damaged and he had replaced it Shimano RS 3 wheel from his other road bike. He still has the 11 speed cassette intact with him and I do not have the budget to invest in a new wheel set.

Is there a way I can make adjustments to use the 11 speed cassette on the existing 10 speed hub?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    sidd0707 wrote:
    Hi,

I recently picked a Cannondale Road bike with Shimano Ultegra group set from a friend. In an accident his rear wheel had got damaged and he had replaced it Shimano RS 3 wheel from his other road bike. He still has the 11 speed cassette intact with him and I do not have the budget to invest in a new wheel set.

Is there a way I can make adjustments to use the 11 speed cassette on the existing 10 speed hub?

3 options really. Firstly, can you source an 11-speed freehub for the Shimano RS wheelset (there is no RS 3 variety as far as I can see - is it the RS30 or RS31?). That would be the simplest way I think.

2nd option is to have a go at modifying the 10-speed freehub so that it will accept an 11-speed cassette. The venerable Ugo of this parish has done this successfully and describes the process here:-

http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/01/29/th ... witchover/

If neither of these are feasible then you may be able to pick up an 11-speed rear wheel 2nd hand on Ebay or the like.