Male Fashion Consciousness in Correlation with Cycle Commuting

LouiseStewart1
LouiseStewart1 Posts: 2
edited March 2016 in Commuting chat
Hello,

I am currently a fourth year student studying Fashion Marketing and Retailing at the School of Textiles and Design, Heriot-Watt University. My dissertation research is focused on young male professionals and whether they are fashion conscious whilst cycle commuting to work. I was wondering if any males would be so kind as to complete this short survey (before April 5th) to help me with my research.

Thank You in advance!

Louise

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MaleFa ... eCommuting

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Done, although the phrase 'Male Fashion Consciousness in Correlation with Cycle Commuting' makes me cringe.

Success of Rapha surely answers the question anyway.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Whilst I am a male I am neither young or fashion conscious, come to that I'm rarely professional.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    oo ... that makes 2 of us ... not young, nor fashionable .... and probably not professional either! :)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Slowbike wrote:
    oo ... that makes 2 of us ... not young, nor fashionable .... and probably not professional either! :)

3 of us...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • I notice she's a student in Edinburgh, must have seen me in my Rapha cap this morning. 8)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I'm male but after that I fail the other criteria. 59 this year, so I no longer qualify as young. And my wife and family will confirm that I've never been accused of being fashion conscious. I'm lucky if my socks match and my pants aren't inside out. And the fact I'm on here at work waiting for the traffic to ease suggests a certain lack of professionalism...

Good luck with the dissertation though. Maybe try on LFGSS?
  • mozejo
    mozejo Posts: 115
    Oh God I am so embarrassed by my answers - and they don't even give away half of the sad fcuk I am when I think about what I'm wearing when I ride my bike . The potential shame ................
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    While I do have some fashion cycling stuff, mainly Vulpine rather than Rapha.

I don't bother for the commute, which is 3 miles ish so Lycra or what ever doesn't make sense. Nor do I normally bother for longer trips into town, though I might take a change of a top and what not. If it's for training say.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    The wrong place to post looking for the opinions of the young.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's for a Uni project, she just needs answers, relevance is, era, irrelevant!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Sub 5 mile commute = Normal clothes with allowances for cycling
    5 Mile plus commute = Cycle specific clothes

Who'd ride in casual clothes and change into smart clothes?
    I always thought the point of 'commuter' or 'casual' cycle clothing was that you could ride in it and keep it on when you get off the bike without looking like a mamil.

There is fashion consciousness in cycle clothing and in normal clothing, I have none in either and tend to sway toward practicality and durability rather than following trends or brands.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,593
    I usually commute in the bike kit that's just been downgraded because I've bought even nicer kit for the sunday ride.
  • I usually commute in the bike kit that's just been downgraded because I've bought even nicer kit for the sunday ride.

This.

Although my Sunday rides are getting fewer and fewer nowadays.
  • Done.

Am slightly confused with "commuter cycle wear" is it not just "cycle wear"?
    Am I missing out on something here?

(I did think of the Dickies trousers with the leg tie as a "fashion" item, but that's it)
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Also done, good luck with the dissertation.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Done, another 50+ commuter here.
    FCN = 4
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Done. But why in heaven's name don't any of you people go and get advice from a market research professional before you compile these surveys? There are so many mistakes in construction that I'd be very surprised if you could draw any meaningful conclusions even assuming you get a large enough sample size (never mind the self-selecting nature of the sample if you're soliciting on bike forums).
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Done.

I am vaguely fashion conscious in real life, but on the bike (particularly on my commute) I just want to get from A to B at the premium temperature. I often look like a bag of rags tied in the middle.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Is being fashion conscious and showing some vague ability to colour coordinate the same thing?
  • iPete wrote:
    Is being fashion conscious and showing some vague ability to colour coordinate the same thing?

I'll ask the wife.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    iPete wrote:

Most of my cycling clothing is black and red, as is my bike, Garmin, PC, headphones, boots and car. But Mrs Ini says I have no fashion sense so no, they cannot be the same thing. Maybe if I cared about clothes beyond their utility I might be able to apply the same set of principles but spending extra to do so seems wasteful when that money would be better spent on components & upgrades for stuff that matters.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.