The 'What's the Point' Tuesday Thread...

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited March 2016 in The Crudcatcher
Morning Losers!

Well, not a single response to yesterdays post. Wow. Have to admit I'm getting tired of this forum. Will see how this week goes.

So, today I return to work. Hopefully it should be quiet, but you can never be sure in this business.

After work, I need to sort the house out. It's just a mess.

Laters!
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Good morning. I know what you mean about the forum. I think that it is declining in activity and in content. It is becoming a small club.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    We need Cody back!

Ning fools,

Been up all night with the squits, to cap all that off did a massive stomach emptying chunder about an hour ago, no sleep and an empty Bg mean no work today!

Anyway must go.............toilet calls!

Have a better un than me today.

Toodles
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • M9DBO
    M9DBO Posts: 175
    Off for three days in the Lakes with the Family and Dog. Just packing and watching the weather forecast very closely. No bikes unfortunately as the hotel won't let us leave the Dog unattended in the room. Bum.
    I am the Orange stereotype and loving it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    bg13 wrote:
    We need Cody back!
    Some things we don't need.
    Morning all,
    Early start and back in the office make for a grumpy me. Have to go back to the dentist shortly to check on progress of the hole connecting my mouth and my sinus, deep joy. Hopefully things will improve later today.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Morning,
    Back to work after a weekend away in/near the lakes. Didn't do anything of any note except get very wet on a very short walk. Hoping to book the same place for a week over summer as well, holds 30 people and it's only £54 per night all year round. Might be a bit rough around the edges but it beats paying peak season prices anywhere else.
    Late start at work meh, haven't left yet. Half term innit, so nowt to do when working in schools.
    Laters
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    It has got a bit poor of late compared to low standards

In Solihull today and waiting for the first conference call to start - the joys

Later is unplanned and after an excessive weekend should be job based rather than pub based
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    M9DBO wrote:
    Off for three days in the Lakes with the Family and Dog. Just packing and watching the weather forecast very closely. No bikes unfortunately as the hotel won't let us leave the Dog unattended in the room. Bum.
    Tie the dog to the handle bars? Via its lead of course.

Today is my Sunday as I have a day off :) It will involve the dog, but not tied to any handle bars. He'll just get a walk instead.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning,

yay back to work after a week off! (feel free to change yay to what ever expletive you see fitting) feel like I could have another week off an ive only been here just over an hour. Nothing much occurring either.
    Today will be spent easing back into work calling as few people as possible and pondering a new job.

I get what you mean about it slowing down. Not the first forum ive seen do this hopefully its a blip rather than a real issue.

TKM, first day back here usually involves lots of password resets an "Oh I broke this over the weekend" moments.
  • thekickingmule
    Step83 wrote:
    I get what you mean about it slowing down. Not the first forum ive seen do this hopefully its a blip rather than a real issue.

TKM, first day back here usually involves lots of password resets an "Oh I broke this over the weekend" moments.
    Sadly it's not the place it once was (say 8-10 years ago). The minute The Hub was created, the entire forum crashed. It's dark times, and I think it will be the end of them soon.

Luckily, I don't have to deal with passwords and stuff, so nothing to worry about. I did get to wipe all of our studios hard drives :twisted: It's oddly satisfying knowing that someone hasn't backed up their work, and will try and blame me for their laziness :twisted:
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Depends on the dog. A friend of mine has a Rottweiler/Husky cross, you wouldn't want that tied to your handlebars. That thing is strong as an ox and a sight faster.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    FishFish wrote:
    Good morning. I know what you mean about the forum. I think that it is declining in activity and in content. It is becoming a small club.
    bg13 wrote:
    Been up all night with the squits, to cap all that off did a massive stomach emptying chunder about an hour ago, no sleep and an empty Bg mean no work today!

I wonder why?

Not much happening here either apart from some white stuff dropping from the sky as I got up.

I hope it isn't a sign of what's coming over summer.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    Step83 wrote:
    Sadly it's not the place it once was (say 8-10 years ago). The minute The Hub was created, the entire forum crashed. It's dark times, and I think it will be the end of them soon.
    Hopefully things will start to improve. The new(ish) owners are keen to turn things around and are trying to fix things that were driving people away. Unfortunately it's all taking a long time. Hopefully the forum upgrades will resolve some of the instability. Advertising can't be eliminated, but report any that mess things up too much and hopefully it won't be too intrusive. Anything you think needs fixing mention it in the discuss the website bit and they will try to fix it, but it won't be overnight. I'm told traffic has increased recently after a long period of regression. As I say, hopefully things will pick up.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

Luckily, I don't have to deal with passwords and stuff, so nothing to worry about. I did get to wipe all of our studios hard drives :twisted: It's oddly satisfying knowing that someone hasn't backed up their work, and will try and blame me for their laziness :twisted:

Snap I just get the odd ticket pop up for people who claim they have had the passwords changed an still cant login. No drive wipes here but we do get lots of people who despite us having a proper email archive system insist on using PST files an wonder why their 12Gb PST doesnt work :roll: I do enjoy telling them we dont support them an closing the ticket down :twisted:
  • thekickingmule
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    Hopefully things will start to improve. The new(ish) owners are keen to turn things around and are trying to fix things that were driving people away. Unfortunately it's all taking a long time. Hopefully the forum upgrades will resolve some of the instability. Advertising can't be eliminated, but report any that mess things up too much and hopefully it won't be too intrusive. Anything you think needs fixing mention it in the discuss the website bit and they will try to fix it, but it won't be overnight. I'm told traffic has increased recently after a long period of regression. As I say, hopefully things will pick up.
    My main advise would be to merge the Crud and the Hub back together. People need just 1 place to be off topic, not 2. If you could get that over to the new owners, maybe then we'll get more traffic back here

The trouble with the crud was that people started getting a little too aggresive in responses to people asking genuine questions. It became a place where honest questions got ridiculed and turned into jesting places. The mods tried to control it but lost their way and also got involved with it.

I've tried the odd thread such as the book one, but unless people get involved, it gets buried into the next page and lost for ages.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Can't compete with facebook. A lot of forums have gone downhill as facebook groups and pages have grown. To compete they're going to need a slick app or something. Even that would be a lot of expense without any guarantees.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Depends on the dog. A friend of mine has a Rottweiler/Husky cross, you wouldn't want that tied to your handlebars. That thing is strong as an ox and a sight faster.

Someone told me about his friend called Mary:

Mary had a little lamb,
    and it was always gruntin;
    She tied it to a five bar gate
    and kicked its little c*nt in.

You could do that with an ox or indeed a rottweiler - I couldn't of course because I love animals but you could. I know you could. So try it and let us know.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It's always good to let people learn by experience :twisted:

We know someone with an Alaskan Malamut, would be good for towing. Actually I could borrow him, take him to Wales and save on uplift costs.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    My main advise would be to merge the Crud and the Hub back together. People need just 1 place to be off topic, not 2. If you could get that over to the new owners, maybe then we'll get more traffic back here

The trouble with the crud was that people started getting a little too aggresive in responses to people asking genuine questions. It became a place where honest questions got ridiculed and turned into jesting places. The mods tried to control it but lost their way and also got involved with it.

I've tried the odd thread such as the book one, but unless people get involved, it gets buried into the next page and lost for ages.
    May be worth resurrecting some of the old long running threads - I'm going to see if I can dig one or two out later.

Although part of it has also been that some of the old characters have gone and we've not had much in the way of replacements.
  • veronese68
    Good job on the resurrection shuffle Stevo.
    Now here's a radical thought. Is there a problem where the daily threads push other threads off the first page too quickly? Would we be better off having a single thread and just keep it rolling with our daily musings? This would be particularly satisfying now that Stevo and I have got a particular roadie into the daily thread habit after much whining from him.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Now here's a radical thought. Is there a problem where the daily threads push other threads off the first page too quickly? Would we be better off having a single thread and just keep it rolling with our daily musings? This would be particularly satisfying now that Stevo and I have got a particular roadie into the daily thread habit after much whining from him.
    Worth a cruddy poll. Although TKM may object as then he'd have nothing to get up for in the mornings :)
  • thekickingmule
    I'm up for it! One less thing to do in the morning is never a bad thing!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Worth a cruddy poll. Although TKM may object as then he'd have nothing to get up for in the mornings :)

whose here to vote? :)
  • thekickingmule
    I made an executive decision.

Do I get a payrise now?
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • tlw1
    I made an executive decision.

Do I get a payrise now?

We will double your salary from here
  • Stevo_666
    Well Mr. Bossmule, how about 7 daily threads - one for each day. Then all the thickos won't get so confused about what day they are talking about :)
  • veronese68
    I'd have thought even Cody would have had enough nouse to work out a single thread.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Salmon fish?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'd have thought even Cody would have had enough nouse to work out a single thread.
    Not everyone on here is as bright as Cody :)
  • thekickingmule
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Well Mr. Bossmule, how about 7 daily threads - one for each day. Then all the thickos won't get so confused about what day they are talking about :)
    Haha let's see how the single one goes. If it gets confusing or anything, we'll maybe try seven. One does make sense though, as conversations from yesterday can be continued in it. I'm quite interested.

I might post in the newbies thread to see if anyone wants to join us.

Be nice everyone.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro