Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Chris Eubank, still a Knob?

thesquireofbanwellthesquireofbanwell Posts: 113
edited March 2016 in The cake stop
My personal view on this individual,given his previous behaviour with all manner of things including;motors,dress,opinions
and probably other things that I have been ambivalent to!
After seeing him on the TV earlier today though he is my current hero due to his behaviour and observations both at the boxing involving his son last Saturday and subsequently.
I am most impressed and have changed that opinion completely. Am I alone?
I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it.
Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire
08 Cotic Soda
10 Bianchi 928 c2c

Posts

  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,055
    No def not alone, watched him on news tonight and certainly made a difference in a good way. Let's hope he stays like that.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • finchyfinchy Posts: 6,689
    A relative of mine knows him quite well. She says he's actually a really nice man in private, very friendly and polite. His pretentiousness is probably just an act.

    I didn't know about the fatal accident though.

    EDIT: He also once spent over a million pounds of his own money converting a building into a shelter for the homeless. Not too bad.
  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 4,016
    It's not a fatal incidence BTW. The opponent to Chris Eubanks junior is in an induced coma. He had a bleed in the brain that is not being operated on last I heard. The induced coma is probably a medical technique to allow the patient to recover better.

    Eubanks senior had an act when boxing and afterwards. He's a good boxer who was involved in a fight that was not controlled in a way to protect the boxers. Sport is entertainment but sports like boxing has the potential for serious harm to happen to the competitors. Back in.senior's day they allowed a fight to go too far and didn't have adequate medical support. That resulted in serious harm to Senior's opponent. That had an emotional effect on him. I believe that he genuinely had concerns for his son's opponent. Everything that he has done and been like in.the past I've forgotten about. I now see him as someone who's got genuine concern for boxer welfare. Respect is due IMHO.

    He also comes across as someone different to his boxing day's persona. I can easily believe he's a nice guy. Time for boxing to listen, time to stop the entertainment sooner if there's uneven level of performance in a bout. Boxer safety should be more to the fore.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,563
    Always liked him, even in his career post Watson there were times when I (and others) felt he held back when on top for fear of hurting an opponent and lost some big fights because of it and Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank shows he's not afraid to make fun of himself.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • slowmartslowmart Posts: 4,057
    Snr was a showman and the public perception put backsides on seats to either watch the gobby guy get knocked on his backside or for support. In that respect he raised his profile and got people talking which was the aim.

    SNR has faced adversity in his life and faced some hard and sobering questions as a consequence of his actions and is still there standing up and for that I find commendable. Having your son follow you into the profession must have bought a myriad of feelings but that's between the them, what was clear was the respect his son had for his father in the interviews.

    I never considered Eubank a knob but he's shown a side to him the public didn't know existed and the most damning aspect to this story is the response from the boxing authorities and their refusal to face facts.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

    Desmond Tutu
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,563
    Difficult one for boxing though, from what I've heard (didn't see the fight myself) it wasn't a clear cut case of a fight that should have been stopped, there was a well known fighter on Radio5 today who didn't think the ref was at fault at all.

    I find it hard to enjoy watching boxing these days, attending a live show put me off it somewhat as the brutality comes across that much more when you are ringside and since suffering a cycling related head injury I just don't like to see people potentially inflicting the same on each other for sport.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 7,160
    Eubank seems decent enough but a couple of incidents cloud my opinion. He ran over and killed a road worker on the A23 because he was driving carelessly and he put two women in hospital with burns when he let off a wonky firework into a crowd of people on Brighton beach. Both accidents, but you can avoid killing and maiming if you put a bit of thought into what you're doing.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Saw both Eubanks on Channel 4 news last night and thought that they handled themselves with more dignity and respect than the idiot asking all sorts of questions to try and get a sensational comment.

    There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • gethincerigethinceri Posts: 1,159
    always liked him. Intelligent and polite, often ridiculed for his non-conformism.
  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 4,016
    Without a doubt Eubanks Snr is among the ranks of the intelligent boxers. IIRC there were a few with real intelligence back when Snr was boxing. I always appreciated his intelligence and that he was a decent self promoter. Like his attempt to drive his American big rig down downing street. It gets headlines. It gets bums on seats and tv viewing figures for your rights. Which gets you a bigger share of the pot.

    Now he's not about that promotion of the business. It sounds like he's followed many retired boxers of note into a coaching or mentoring role. I believe he'll be good at that. If he's not careful he could become a figurehead from among the sport for improving boxer safety. He's already been in the news about that and I can't see his angle on what he's been saying in interviews. Perhaps I'm naive and missing his self promotion but I think he's standing up for boxing safety without significant or direct personal benefit in his mind. Credit towards him for that.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    slowmart wrote:
    Snr was a showman and the public perception put backsides on seats to either watch the gobby guy get knocked on his backside or for support. In that respect he raised his profile and got people talking which was the aim.

    SNR has faced adversity in his life and faced some hard and sobering questions as a consequence of his actions and is still there standing up and for that I find commendable. Having your son follow you into the profession must have bought a myriad of feelings but that's between the them, what was clear was the respect his son had for his father in the interviews.

    I never considered Eubank a knob but he's shown a side to him the public didn't know existed and the most damning aspect to this story is the response from the boxing authorities and their refusal to face facts.


    We agree,
    He was an awesome boxer in an era of real tough opponents, far greater than those of todays standards.
    He knows everything about the sport and is a great guy, he does a lot for others without the need for the publicity some seek. He also helps youngsters off the streets and into sport to get them to view life in a different way than they would otherwise view it.
    Ive always admired him, he is a true showman and only a few have come through this sport with such grace, the heavyweight version being Lennox Lewis.
    Living MY dream.
  • motogullmotogull Posts: 320
    seanoconn wrote:
    Eubank seems decent enough but a couple of incidents cloud my opinion. He ran over and killed a road worker on the A23 because he was driving carelessly.

    Was that not his brother?

    He is a funny sort, and I can see why people never liked him but I always enjoyed the show he put on.
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 7,160
    motogull wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Eubank seems decent enough but a couple of incidents cloud my opinion. He ran over and killed a road worker on the A23 because he was driving carelessly.

    Was that not his brother?
    No, Chris Eubank.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Frank the tankFrank the tank Posts: 6,806
    I've not heard his comments, but, I have always liked the man. When he was in his pomp, he was totally honest about why he was in boxing.
    Tail end Charlie

    The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • No-one who has mastered the art of walking backwards can ever be considered a knob
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    VTech wrote:
    slowmart wrote:
    Snr was a showman and the public perception put backsides on seats to either watch the gobby guy get knocked on his backside or for support. In that respect he raised his profile and got people talking which was the aim.

    SNR has faced adversity in his life and faced some hard and sobering questions as a consequence of his actions and is still there standing up and for that I find commendable. Having your son follow you into the profession must have bought a myriad of feelings but that's between the them, what was clear was the respect his son had for his father in the interviews.

    I never considered Eubank a knob but he's shown a side to him the public didn't know existed and the most damning aspect to this story is the response from the boxing authorities and their refusal to face facts.


    We agree,
    He was an awesome boxer in an era of real tough opponents, far greater than those of todays standards.
    He knows everything about the sport and is a great guy, he does a lot for others without the need for the publicity some seek. He also helps youngsters off the streets and into sport to get them to view life in a different way than they would otherwise view it.
    Ive always admired him, he is a true showman and only a few have come through this sport with such grace, the heavyweight version being Lennox Lewis.

    Agreedx2

    A great boxer from a great period in boxing. Just look at the quality of those he fought, and hardly any of them went undefeated.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,585
    I am torn. He acted the knob, and I hated that character.
    However, he carried it off, and most importantly, backed it up. You have to admire that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Frank the tankFrank the tank Posts: 6,806
    pblakeney wrote:
    I am torn. He acted the knob, and I hated that character.
    However, he carried it off, and most importantly, backed it up. You have to admire that.
    I'm not torn, but I understand, as I don't like arrogance. In his pomp he was arrogant but it was backed up with ability, he was world champion.

    He never made out boxing for him was anything other than a way to a better way of life, nothing about "noble art" f**k all like that. Boxing was a means to an end, and he was very good at it.
    Tail end Charlie

    The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
Sign In or Register to comment.