Need advice !! canyon bikes sizing

mikaelpic
mikaelpic Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone!

I am looking to buy a Canyon Aeroad bike.

On the website, they have a size calculator. When I put my measures, it says Medium (56) :?

I currently ride a look 695 (54)

here are my measurements
176cm
inseam: 83
arm: 61
torso:59

I am wondering if I should take a small or medium? I joined the canyon GEO

thanks for any advise! It is not easy to buy online

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13306623/
- See more at: http://road.cc/content/forum/184022-nee ... klbZh.dpuf

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Why, why and a thousand times why? Before you do anything else I would read through the threads on problems with Canyon and then buy another make. I don't care how good they say they are, Canyon just ain't worth the aggro.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Think carefully as you need to account for how much you will grow in the years you are waiting for canyon to deliver!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    mikaelpic wrote:
    It is not easy to buy online

Oh, it is. Buying from Wiggle, for example is easy. Ordering Pizza is easy. Amazon Prime can sometimes be a tad irritating, but it seems much better now.

Canyon, read the threads.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    mikaelpic wrote:
    Hi everyone!

I am looking to buy a Canyon Aeroad bike.

On the website, they have a size calculator. When I put my measures, it says Medium (56) :?

I currently ride a look 695 (54)

here are my measurements
    176cm
    inseam: 83
    arm: 61
    torso:59

I am wondering if I should take a small or medium? I joined the canyon GEO

thanks for any advise! It is not easy to buy online

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13306623/
    - See more at: http://road.cc/content/forum/184022-nee ... klbZh.dpuf

The Aeroad is a funny size. I have a large, and it feels exactly that, a touch too large. I have a 55cm Rose and that by comparison feels small. It's meant for flat back riding and getting long and low on. I would say go for a medium if your 54 fits well
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    go for the S and you ll have a similar reach to your current bike but the head tube will be much lower, so with a long stem you ll get low and long!
    the M will be much more like you ve got already but a longer reach - 15mm longer - Canyon can provide exchange aerobars or stems.

the Aeroad i ordered in November, actually arrived more or less on time :shock: and the PPS system seems to size one size too big.

but tbh if i had a LOOK 695, i d not be buying an Aeroad.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Seriously?!! Are you nuts?!

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13061894

'It's not easy to buy online'. Well you got that right if you're looking at Canyon! There are so many excellent alternatives, don't subject yourself to a complete bun fight.
  • Thanks for the reply, I would have it shipped strait out of factory outlet, so it would be stock in size M

that was the reason I was asking for size M

Dont worry I won't order and wait 12 months :x

thanks! and if you have any more comments dont hesitate!
  • redvision
    mikaelpic wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, I would have it shipped strait out of factory outlet, so it would be stock in size M

Dont worry I won't order and wait 12 months :x

thanks! and if you have any more comments dont hesitate!

Just because they say in stock doesn't mean it is!

If you do place an order just don't expect it quickly.

You have been warned!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    mikaelpic wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, I would have it shipped strait out of factory outlet, so it would be stock in size M

And you believe them?
  • mamba80
    mikaelpic wrote:

And you believe them?

Dont listen to these haters! :lol: the Aeroad i ordered, arrived pretty much on the revised delivery date (3 weeks later than planned, but a week earlier than i was told) the spare rd hanger arrived after 10days and the complimentary one piece aero cockpit (£300 worth) - in lieu of a damaged wheel (but still perfectly usable), is winging its way to me, after one week.

could they improve their CS and delivery, too right! but maybe after all this they ll get their act together for next year?
  • mamba80 wrote:
    mikaelpic wrote:

And you believe them?

Dont listen to these haters! :lol: the Aeroad i ordered, arrived pretty much on the revised delivery date (3 weeks later than planned, but a week earlier than i was told) the spare rd hanger arrived after 10days and the complimentary one piece aero cockpit (£300 worth) - in lieu of a damaged wheel (but still perfectly usable), is winging its way to me, after one week.

could they improve their CS and delivery, too right! but maybe after all this they ll get their act together for next year?

Thanks! what size of bike did you choose vs your size?
    Was the PPS accurate for you?

thanks
  • redvision
    mamba80 wrote:
    mikaelpic wrote:

And you believe them?

They will never improve their cs or delivery! These problems are not new, they have existed for years, so why would they change now??

OP one of my mates ordered the 'from stock' aeroad in a medium over three weeks ago, still no dispatch.
  • bendertherobot
    mamba80 wrote:
    mikaelpic wrote:

And you believe them?

Your aeroad arrived on time on the REVISED delivery date? :D
  • mamba80

...and? 3 weeks in the middle of February, esp given the problems Canyon have had, it is nothing, the thing that pee d me off is that they dont keep you informed and their email delivery is wooden and not very personal at all.
    i ve ordered from LBS before and had delayed deliveries when bike/spares are imported from a manufacturers euro HQ.

....and not only did i get the bike, i ve had maybe £500 off in extra bits, so no i'm not going to be anti Canyon am i ?

i ve ordered from canyon before and got my bike on time, the subsequent warranty issue 18 months later was dealt with very quickly, much better than say an LBS and sending back to the importer would have been.

as for PPS sizing, it seems to be one size too large for me but i run a lot of bar/saddle drop, just remember that a slightly smaller bike can be made to fit you but too big..... if i were you, i d be looking at the reach and head tube lengths and making a decision based on that, rather than whats in stock.
  • bendertherobot
    mamba80 wrote:

...and? 3 weeks in the middle of February, esp given the problems Canyon have had, it is nothing, the thing that pee d me off is that they dont keep you informed and their email delivery is wooden and not very personal at all.
    i ve ordered from LBS before and had delayed deliveries when bike/spares are imported from a manufacturers euro HQ.

....and not only did i get the bike, i ve had maybe £500 off in extra bits, so no i'm not going to be anti Canyon am i ?

i ve ordered from canyon before and got my bike on time, the subsequent warranty issue 18 months later was dealt with very quickly, much better than say an LBS and sending back to the importer would have been.

as for PPS sizing, it seems to be one size too large for me but i run a lot of bar/saddle drop, just remember that a slightly smaller bike can be made to fit you but too big..... if i were you, i d be looking at the reach and head tube lengths and making a decision based on that, rather than whats in stock.

You said don't listen to the haters. But your delivery was delayed. Not massively, clearly. But yet another one. Anyone ordering needs to be told about the issues, they can make their choice. I had no issues when I ordered mine either but the current treatment is frankly shocking, particularly when they are making a huge thing of thousands of in stock bikes all over facebook.
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Ive had several bikes from Canyon and no problems whatsoever other than a warranty claim on a fork which was replaced within 14 days. Sure they've had some big problems recently which I hear they are now working through and I'd be reluctant to buy something not in stock. However if it says in stock, order it and if its not despatched within the suggested time just cancel the order and move on to something else.

As for sizing - if the Look fits you well and you want to keep similar position then compare the reach and stack measurements. Easy to then work out how many more or less spacers you'd need or whether a longer / shorter stem needed. Seat tube height measurements should give you a rough idea how much seatpost you would need showing.
  • redvision
    As i have said before, i had a previous bike from Canyon and it was delivered promptly, with no delays.
    This experience persuaded me to place a new order towards the end of 2015 but this turned into such a nightmare that i have been put off Canyon for life and urge others to be cautious if considering buying from them.
  • mamba80
    You said don't listen to the haters. But your delivery was delayed. Not massively, clearly. But yet another one. Anyone ordering needs to be told about the issues, they can make their choice. I had no issues when I ordered mine either but the current treatment is frankly shocking, particularly when they are making a huge thing of thousands of in stock bikes all over facebook.

i cant say that dealing with Canyon was easy, they were hard to get hold of on tel or email but that is much better now.

end of the day, my experience was that they delivered the bike within the new date given to me in january and made good (to my satisfaction) the delivery damage (which wasnt their fault)

i would order again from them, even with a delivery date say in May and i d expect to get the bike more or less on time.

OP let us know what you went for, sizing and if you got the bike !!!!
  • JC78DSL99
    JC78DSL99 Posts: 94
    Scott Foil from your local Evans.
  • bendertherobot
    Check out the Canyon thread in general. in stock order for Aeroad cancelled after 3 weeks BY Canyon as no stock.
  • Okay, I will have a look!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Can't offer any help on the sizing question and haven't ordered from Canyon myself. What I would say regarding the delivery issues is that whilst there is some truth in the fact that you hear a higher percentage of bad stories than good when looking on the internet, there have been so many tales of woe with Canyon there clearly have been serious issues. The bikes are good value for money and they can deliver on time in some cases. But I would only order from them if I could afford to wait months for delivery and possibly miss most of the summer season. Personally that would be a deal breaker for me and I would probably look elsewhere.
    Good luck if you choose to go ahead, I hope you are one of the lucky ones.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Canyon tend to stretch you out slightly relative to the size.

It's only slight.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Canyon tend to stretch you out slightly.

Patience? ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I can't believe that people still want to deal with this company. Gluttons for punishment.

There are loads of comparable bikes out there. Why bother with all the hassle?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Meh I had no problems at all.