Avid Elixir - new hoses

benmac75
benmac75 Posts: 53
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, after a lot of messing around with road bikes and retro mtbs I have taken a step into modern MTBs. Not too modern mind you, I've picked up a 2011 Giant Anthem X2 for a song. It's been cared for but I'm treating it to a total strip and rebuild (fork and shock were done fairly recently so other than a clean they're fine).

I've changed all the bearings and just waiting on a bush tool so I can swap out the worn bush on the rear shock.

The other significant job I want to do is re-hose the brakes (Avid Elixir R) along with give them a good bleed obviously. Bleeding should be no issue once I have the correct kit which is also on its way. Hoses though puzzle me. I'll admit that a big part of wanting to change them is that the current ones are white and I don't like white cables!

I'm just puzzled as to what exactly I am going to need? The official Avid hose kit I assume has all the bits needed but is fairly pricey (£30ish and I'd assume it only has enough bits and hose for one brake). Am I likely to be able to re-use the existing fittings and can I just buy decent generic hose from somewhere, and if so what?

Any tips gratefully received.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH it does depend a bit on what the white hoses are. Original or aftermarket and if so who's.

the Avid ones have a few parts that are reusable but again it depends if they were original or shortened.

download the manual from srams pages about shortening the hoses and you will see.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    This could be of use, should provide enough hose and all the fittings required. Plus if you don't want black they have other colours too.

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... stem-Black
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll need the new hoses plus olives, also most OE brakes don't have the reusable pins so you'll probably need new pins as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.