36/52 chainring setup compatible with Campagnolo 12-25 rear cassette?

christiandransfield
christiandransfield Posts: 127
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Hey everyone,

I'm currently riding a Campagnolo Veloce setup, with 34/50 on the front, with a 12-25 rear cassette. It's not quite there when I'm sprinting on the flat, though, so am thinking of changing back to 36/52 on the front. However, when I had this on my old bike, the rear cassette was an 11-28.

Will the 12-25 cassette be compatible with 36/52? Also, will it leave me struggling for good climbing gears (I'm a climber mainly), with it being 25 instead of 28? Is there a more suitable ratio setup?

Sorry for all the noob questions... Any inout would be much-appreciated!

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Will the 12-25 cassette be compatible with 36/52?
    Yes, though you might need a little bit more chain
    Also, will it leave me struggling for good climbing gears
    Have a play on this:
    http://www.gear-calculator.com/#KB=34,5 ... =2099&SL=2
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    50/11 is a higher gear than 52/12 so you'd be better changing to the 11-28 and leaving the front rings.

If you do decide to change to 36/25 then that's about 6% "harder" than 34/25.

36/28 is slightly easier though - obviously that's changing front and rear at the same time.

The main issue though is that if you're spinning out 50/12 then you should probably be being paid to ride. The difference between 50 and 52 at 75rpm is about 1kmh so probably not the significant thing.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Thanks or the feedback guys. Sounds as though I should stick with what I have at the moment! It's difficult with it being so hilly here... I need the lower gears for the hills, but also a big ring on the front for sprints during races with flat finishes. Can't have it totally both ways, I guess!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Thanks or the feedback guys. Sounds as though I should stick with what I have at the moment! It's difficult with it being so hilly here... I need the lower gears for the hills, but also a big ring on the front for sprints during races with flat finishes. Can't have it totally both ways, I guess!

If you're fit enough to be racing - and still there at the sharp end come the sprint - you'd likely be fine with an 52/36 TBH.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D