Another rider passes away

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited April 2016 in Pro race
RIP Daan Myngheer.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Second terrible loss to cycling in as many days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/35914893

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Really sad.

Bloody hell, what a terrible few days for cycling.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Very sad news.

Friend from school dropped dead from a heart attack playing 5-a-sides at around the same age. My thoughts go out to all his nearest and dearest.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hmm, this is nothing but sad :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Sad news RIP
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Another terrible story - even worse when I saw Vayer tweet about whether his heart problems had been caused by taking/abusing caffeine.
  • mr_poll wrote:
    Another terrible story - even worse when I saw Vayer tweet about whether his heart problems had been caused by taking/abusing caffeine.

I was about to type something rude, but I'll have to make do with a hand gesture instead
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Heartbreaking, I lost a friend to a heart attack at a very similar age, no-one ever thinks about the heart when you are so young or fit. Please take time to get checked out.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    I do have to question this, it seems very unlikely that a 22 year old would have a heart attack, let alone an extremely healthy and fit one. Cardiac arrhythmia and arrest seems more likely, was there a suggestion that he was having problems related to caffeine abuse (if so this would likely be an arrhythmia ). RIP
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • GGBiker wrote:
    I do have to question this, it seems very unlikely that a 22 year old would have a heart attack, let alone an extremely healthy and fit one. Cardiac arrhythmia and arrest seems more likely, was there a suggestion that he was having problems related to caffeine abuse (if so this would likely be an arrhythmia ). RIP

Depends whether you are an avid follower of media whore Vayer

Otherwise...no.

And regrettably there are instances of under-30s - even athletes - having heart attacks. It is not a one-in-a-billion occurrence.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    GGBiker wrote:

Depends whether you are an avid follower of media whore Vayer

Otherwise...no.

And regrettably there are instances of under-30s - even athletes - having heart attacks. It is not a one-in-a-billion occurrence.
    Twelve people under 30 die like this every week in Britain alone.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • GGBiker
    12 under 30s per week? Do you have a source for that? If that is true I would imagine a high proportion are due to underlying chronic medical problems or drug induced (legal or otherwise)
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker wrote:
    12 under 30s per week? Do you have a source for that? If that is true I would imagine a high proportion are due to underlying chronic medical problems or drug induced (legal or otherwise). The media often seem to use "heart attack" to mean any cardiac cause of death.
  • GGBiker
    ddraver wrote:

I thought he had a cardiac arrest not a heart attack?the article even mentions a seizure so not much useful information there.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    GGBiker wrote:
    12 under 30s per week? Do you have a source for that? If that is true I would imagine a high proportion are due to underlying chronic medical problems or drug induced (legal or otherwise)
    Certainly: http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/

It only says 'young' rather than my 'under 30'. And it specifies undiagnosed heart defects - so no drugs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    I can't decide if you re being incredibly anal about medical terminology or if you re incredibly uninformed...
    - @ddraver
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Now that Rich has given a source for his post can you do the same for this please
    GGBiker wrote:
    was there a suggestion that he was having problems related to caffeine abuse

If all you can come up with Vayers crass tweet, then you might want to bear in mind someone died and spreading unsubstantiated gossip is also a pretty crass thing to do.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I thought he had a cardiac arrest not a heart attack?the article even mentions a seizure so not much useful information there.

Thanks, so that's nothing to do with heart attacks. "Undiagnosed heart conditions" covers anything that could possibly be wrong with a heart, a "heart attack" is a specific problem caused by lack of oxygen supply to the heart muscle due to a narrowing of the coronary arteries usually by deposition of fatty matter described as atheroma in the vessels. This is usually a result of either genetics and/or lifestyle (poor diet, overweight/obesity, smoking, lack of exercise, alcohol) so to succumb to this at the age of 22 is extremely rare to the point of being unheard of.
  • GGBiker
    mr_poll wrote:
    Now that Rich has given a source for his post can you do the same for this please
    GGBiker wrote:

If all you can come up with Vayers crass tweet, then you might want to bear in mind someone died and spreading unsubstantiated gossip is also a pretty crass thing to do.

I have no idea who Vayer is, but an earlier poster (Mr poll) mentioned that this rider may have had a cardiac problem related to caffeine - beyond that I have no comment or opinion.
  • GGBiker
    ddraver wrote:
    I can't decide if you re being incredibly anal about medical terminology or if you re incredibly uninformed...

Not sure if this directed at my post or not but describing anything that can go wrong with a heart as a "heart attack" is certainly uninformed.
  • The_Boy
    GGBiker wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:
    GGBiker wrote:

I have no idea who Vayer is, but an earlier poster (Mr poll) mentioned that this rider may have had a cardiac problem related to caffeine - beyond that I have no comment or opinion.

Mr poll also makes mention of Vayer in the very same post you refer to.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    GGBiker wrote:
    GGBiker wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Thanks, so that's nothing to do with heart attacks. "Undiagnosed heart conditions" covers anything that could possibly be wrong with a heart, a "heart attack" is a specific problem caused by lack of oxygen supply to the heart muscle due to a narrowing of the coronary arteries usually by deposition of fatty matter described as atheroma in the vessels. This is usually a result of either genetics and/or lifestyle (poor diet, overweight/obesity, smoking, lack of exercise, alcohol) so to succumb to this at the age of 22 is extremely rare to the point of being unheard of.

On the bolded part, something being rare doesn't mean it isn't so.

Perhaps you could explain to the class you motivation in this particular line of pedantry?
  • ddraver
    GGBiker wrote:
    GGBiker wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

...you're now responding to your own posts...

Do you want to start again? (hint - try asking politely this time)
    - @ddraver
  • GGBiker
    Somewhat taken aback by the unnecessary aggression on display in this thread, perhaps some people need to get out on their bikes and burn some of that off....
  • ddraver
    When you act like a d1ck, people tend to respond to you like d1cks...
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    ddraver wrote:
    When you act like a d1ck, people tend to respond to you like d1cks...

:shock:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Easy now, possibly time to remember why this thread exists...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    Fair point Salsi.
    - @ddraver