Recommendations for oil removal/degreaser for chainset etc

christiandransfield
christiandransfield Posts: 127
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hey everyone,

I wondered what your opinions on the best degreaser for cleaning a bike chain and rear cassette etc are. I'm tempted to try the Muc-Off degreaser, but wondered if there's anything that's meant to be much better than other products. I even watched a video of somebody using diesel, but don't think I'll go down that route!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    have you got a removable link on the chain? it makes life easier

fwiw i've got a few chains so i just swap over when one gets covered in cack, then use citrus degreaser in a small ultrasonic tank, works well, you need to follow up with a couple of zaps in water to get rid of the degreaser

dry out (over on low) before applying new oil to the chain, leave it in a chain box to seep in
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 102
    If you don't want to take it all to bits, I find Ambersil Brake Cleaner aerosols very penetrating and very degreasing. Evaporates reasonably quickly too and gets an amazing amount of gunk off. Need to lubricate well afterwards however (once fully dry).

Not as good as dismantle and ultrasonic of course.
  • rafregt1
    rafregt1 Posts: 52
    Morgan Blue chain degreaser.
    Absolutely brilliant stuff.
    Just pour a bit in an old yoghurt carton and brush it on with the Morgan Blue chain cleaning brush.
    Will be like new again..!
    Oh and I believe it's what a lot of the pro teams use too
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I've not tried the Morgan Blue degreaser, but I've yet to find anything that compares with the Park Tool stuff combined with their chain cleaning contraption and an old paint brush for the cassette.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I even watched a video of somebody using diesel, but don't think I'll go down that route!

Why not? A litre of diesel (or petrol) is just over a quid at the moment. How much will your 'proprietary' degreasers cost you?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Vslowpace wrote:
    I've not tried the Morgan Blue degreaser, but I've yet to find anything that compares with the Park Tool stuff combined with their chain cleaning contraption and an old paint brush for the cassette.

Some variation on that (Finish Line is equally good IME). Run it through with just water first then with degreaser, leave it on while you do the rest of the bike then finish up at the end. Let it all dry then relube. Done...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I use white spirit and a stiff brush for cassette and rag for chainset. Regina Blitz kitchen roll is great for the job.
    Totally get the point of bike specific grease and lubes but for degreasing, you just need something to strip grease and not leave residue. Doesn't need to be expensive at all.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Another vote for Finishline chain degreaser, never bothered with specific cleaning products before but bought decided to try some and bought this and I am astonished by how good it actually is, I dare say other ones are equally as good but as this is the only one I have tried I am shocked by how clean it gets the drive train.

I poured some into a cut down bidon and added some water to dilute and apply with a paint brush and let it soak in a bit, I clean with a nail brush, rags and a sponge then wash off any other residue when I clean the rest of the bike, let it dry and then re-lube the drive chain.

I am happy with it
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • imposter2.0
    JesseD wrote:
    Another vote for Finishline chain degreaser, never bothered with specific cleaning products before but bought decided to try some and bought this and I am astonished by how good it actually is, I dare say other ones are equally as good but as this is the only one I have tried I am shocked by how clean it gets the drive train.

I poured some into a cut down bidon and added some water to dilute and apply with a paint brush and let it soak in a bit, I clean with a nail brush, rags and a sponge then wash off any other residue when I clean the rest of the bike, let it dry and then re-lube the drive chain.

I am happy with it

Try the same thing with petrol or diesel - it's the same result, but much, much cheaper. £11.95 for 600ml - you can get around 10 litres of diesel for the same price...
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I paint on Morgan Blue most of the time. It's good stuff but very expensibe for what it is. When the chain is really sh*tted up I'll remove it and leave it soaking in White Spirit. Might try some alternative to MB soon.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Another vote for Morgan blue. Apply sparingly with a paint brush and agitate. Then run chain through a park tool chain cleaner containing general hot soapy water a couple of times till the water stays clean, then rinse. Sparkling chain every time. Barely a 5 minute job.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Imposter wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

I am happy with it

Try the same thing with petrol or diesel - it's the same result, but much, much cheaper. £11.95 for 600ml - you can get around 10 litres of diesel for the same price...

How do you avoid breathing in the fumes and splashing it around? You shouldn't be spilling ANY petrol or diesel on the ground.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    ^^ lol, are you serious? No worse than when you fill a lawnmower/chainsaw/whatever up with fuel.... its not exactly glue sniffing.... And if you spill some, set fire to it.... self cleaning!
  • Alex99
    ravey1981 wrote:
    ^^ lol, are you serious? No worse than when you fill a lawnmower/chainsaw/whatever up with fuel.... its not exactly glue sniffing.... And if you spill some, set fire to it.... self cleaning!

Yes, quite serious. I would guess that you'd be exposed for longer using it to clean your bike than sloshing some into a lawnmower. You probably get closer into the area where you're applying it too with the bike. Maybe you are careful with it, I hope so :) . It's not nice stuff, so just sayin'.
  • imposter2.0
    Alex99 wrote:
    How do you avoid breathing in the fumes and splashing it around? You shouldn't be spilling ANY petrol or diesel on the ground.

I avoid breathing in the fumes by simply not sticking my nose directly into the petrol can. Apart from that, there really is no risk whatsoever - no more so than filling up your car at a service station. As for not spilling any on the ground.....
  • Alex99
    Imposter wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

I avoid breathing in the fumes by simply not sticking my nose directly into the petrol can. Apart from that, there really is no risk whatsoever - no more so than filling up your car at a service station. As for not spilling any on the ground.....

Fair enough. Not wanting to dismiss what works for you, just suggesting caution where hazardous chemical are involved. I spent many years in a research chemistry lab and we wouldn't use petrochemicals or solvents outside of enclosures with proper air extraction. It sets alarm bells ringing for me.