Think Ive trashed my shoes

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited March 2016 in Road general
Over the winter I was sick of cold feet so I siliconed the vents on my shoes..... Now that it's not cold out I want to remove it but it's so difficult to remove is there a way to get all out from the vents and mesh? .....

Yes I used over shoes and the cold and water would still find its way in .....
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I've always just used electrical tape to cover the vents, not that this is much help to you now.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    silicone rubber?

you could try http://www.screwfix.com/p/unibond-silic ... 00ml/75756 or similar products, no idea if it'll damage the shoes though, i'd try carving off as much as possible first

next time, as mentioned above, use electrical tape!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Carrying on with the "It's too late now, but..." theme, I've found SealSkinz socks to be very good - warm and dry. They are a tad bulky though, so might not be any good if the shoes are already a snug fit.

To help with the current problem, you could also try the stuff used to remove label "sticky residue". That can sometimes attack silicone, and might be a bit more gentle on the rest of the show than bathroom sealant remover.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Cheers guys just found the tube in shed and it's a silicon adhesive ....probably the wrong stuff to use? I can carve it out but it's all stick in the mesh on the vents ....
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've never heard of anyone siliconing their shoes.

Now I know why.

Look on it as an excuse for new summer shoes.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Honestly I think you're out of luck trying to get it out of the mesh and any synthetic surface. You might try soaking a small area in WD-40 for a few days followed by a scrub brush and some washing up liquid just to make sure it doesn't harm your shoes. Also warming up with a hair dryer and a good stiff brush may work but check on the tube of your silicon if it lists max temps as you may melt your shoes before softening up the silicon. I would be very cautious with any special silicon removal chemicals as they will probably ruin your shoes. Be prepared to live with hot feet or having to buy another pair of shoes IMO.
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    What a thing to do lol.
    That silicone removal stuff is pretty hardcore even the shite stuff.
    What you could try is if you can get a finger behind the mesh on the inside you could try rubbing some vegetable oil on with a finger on the outside. It depends how pokey the silicone you've used in the first place is. If it's cheap tat, the oil may just shift it.
    I use veg oil on my hands when I've been working with silicone or expanding foam and the like, does help shift it but your skin is a bit easier to work with than a shoe vent.
    Good luck..
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I very much doubt you will get it out of the vents. Silicon is used as a sealant for several good reasons and one of them is that it sticks like mad.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    sigorman85 wrote:
    Over the winter I was sick of cold feet so I siliconed the vents on my shoes..... Now that it's not cold out I want to remove it but it's so difficult to remove is there a way to get all out from the vents and mesh? .....

Yes I used over shoes and the cold and water would still find its way in .....

Covering the vent with silicone. I think you are blazing your own trail there.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think he's basically invented cycling wellies ?