Road racing

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
edited April 2016 in Amateur race
It's been a couple of years since I organised a road race so I'm a little out of the loop but was talking to a guy who is very much involved with the local rr league, commissairing etc who said all courses now have to have a central BC risk assessment.

So far so good but apparently the assessment he's seen assumes accredited marshalls even for standard junctions, and in one example he gave 3 of them for an uphill left hand fork something that I'd have assessed as needing one marshall at most.

Anyone else come across this? As there are no accredited marshalls in this region yet he assumed that races would be run with non accredited marshalls for the time being but were BC to insist every marshall has done the course and does 5 events a year is that the death of open road racing? I don't mind standing with a flag every so often but I am not sure I want to do a course so I can do it let alone commit to 5 races a year. The irony is for me the most dangerous ting about BC races is the bunch size of 80 - too big for a lower cat race on the road - and the greater the demands on organisers the more riders they need to cover the costs.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I can see a point where club or regional level road racing will all be circuit (ie Sundorne/Hog Hill/Redbridge, etc) based in a few years...I think that's the way it's going...
  • it seems that as more and more people are cycling there are less and less races. The latest risk assessments are yet another reason closed road races are so much easier to organise, just need to try persuade people of the benefits of them, i.e.. local shops/cafes get more business by having 100+ people in the area on a sunday morning/afternoon that would not normally be there
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Depending on which region you are in, the LVRC and TLI will always welcome new organizers.
    The standards are high and you dont have to deal with highhandedness of the BCF.
    Both organisations are having to react to sometimes very different Police authority attitudes but it's still a viable operation to run a road race.
  • I think all of TLI / LVRC riders in any of the regions would welcome anyone who wanted to promote a road race with open arms. And (as JGSI said) without the highhandedness of the BC.

Could it be you?
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    I think all of TLI / LVRC riders in any of the regions would welcome anyone who wanted to promote a road race with open arms. And (as JGSI said) without the highhandedness of the BC.

Could it be you?

a mate looked at this option for the s/w and because the nearest road kit - lighting/radios etc is in Birmingham/Worcester, anyone organising would need to go up there twice to get it/return, not viable.
  • Lookyhere wrote:
    I think all of TLI / LVRC riders in any of the regions would welcome anyone who wanted to promote a road race with open arms. And (as JGSI said) without the highhandedness of the BC.

Could it be you?

a mate looked at this option for the s/w and because the nearest road kit - lighting/radios etc is in Birmingham/Worcester, anyone organising would need to go up there twice to get it/return, not viable.

I have been in correspondence with the LVRC South West Region Events Coordinator and he would very much like to help you promote an LVRC road race in the south west region. All the race kit will be made available to the organiser and certainly no round trips to another region to collect race kit is expected as each region should be able to support races within.

You can contact Keith Brooks by email: lvrcreg10@gmail.com

If your club makes contact with Keith and a road race plan is formulated between now and the summer (even if it is for 2017) then I will offer two free entry to any two LVRC members of the organising club in to the Colour-Tech RT Gravesend Summer Beano Criteriums on Saturday 6th August 2016.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live