How to Stop Mavic Freehub Growl

colinsmith123
colinsmith123 Posts: 579
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Usually I take the freehub apart give everything a good clean, apply some light oil and re-assemble and then it is fine for a three or four months. But I gave it the usual clean and have done less than 100km and the Mavic growl is back again.

Suggestions?
Live to ski
Ski to live

Comments

• socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Lightly smear with baby oil. Not joking.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    3in1 oil works well. Persistent issues could be a sign that the freehub is on it's way out though.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Only way I could get rid of the Mavic Growl (despite multiple services from multiple bike shops) was to return them under the Sale of Goods Act and replace them with Campy Shamals
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    3in1 oil works well. Persistent issues could be a sign that the freehub is on it's way out though.

What am I llooking for to see if the freehub needs replacing.
    Hdow wrote:
    Only way I could get rid of the Mavic Growl (despite multiple services from multiple bike shops) was to return them under the Sale of Goods Act and replace them with Campy Shamals

Mmmm.... that's an option. But, not one I would be prepared to take. Politics. Enough said.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    The Mavic freehub is a long-lasting consumable, less so if it's been left to make the death wail for too long. Frankly, it's not a great design.

Two things wear, the cream-coloured nylon washer on the back of the freehub, and the rubber seal that sits inside the cavity the freehub is inserted into. They are the two parts that press together and wail if they completely dry out. If the nylon is rough or has a groove worn into it then it's probably worth replacing it and the rubber seal. The new part comes with the bearing already pressed in.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    What oil are you using in there at the moment? I know there are about a hundred different recommendations online, but IMO the widely-touted Shimano Mineral Oil just isn't thick enough to last for any length of time.

If the freehub is worn out you'll notice significant play in the rear cassette even when everything is tightened up, so much so that it could start to affect your shifting. I noticed this on my Ksyriums recently (much more evident on the turbo trainer than on the road where you have other distractions) and I've got a good deal of play in my rear cassette, which means that the drivetrain can skip a little under load, as though the indexing is a little out. I agree that the nylon bushing isn't a great design, but I've maintained mine pretty well (never had the death wail) and got a good 13,000 km out of them before it's reached this point so I'm not too disappointed.

I've ordered one of these to attempt to permanently rectify the situation; it's a bit pricey, but hopefully it'll do the job:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HUBDOCTOR ... SwwbdWK7JP