What the chances ? 2 different bikes and both snapped there chains

Sportiveman
Sportiveman Posts: 158
edited April 2016 in Road general
I'm having bad luck at the moment 2 different road bikes and both snapped there chains leaving me stranded in middle of now where , as waiting for my quick links to turn up :cry: has this happened to anyone else ? Am I doing something wrong too much strain or bad luck ?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    new? old? fitted by the same person?

i once rented a villa that had two brand new (basic) mountain bikes, never been ridden, both chains snapped, one after a few km, the other didn't last 5 metres, whoever installed them had no idea what they were doing, i used two chains to make one good one, no issues for the next three weeks
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Sportiveman
    One came with my new to me bike no idea how old it was the quick link that snapped as kmc chain. Other was a Shimano chain the pin popped out I think it was because me and mate reused the pin 3 times not replaced it :oops:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    Sounds like sabotage.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    OK so one is explained and the other one is just one of those things. It's very rare.

How's the maintenance? Any indication of the pin working loose when it's last cleaned?
  • Sportiveman
    Before both bikes were used I degreased and re oiled the drive chains and chains both looked fine no obvious problems .
    The kmc had a new chainset fitted before it was degreased !
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, the pin falling out is just user error, nothing more than that. The pins are not meant to be reused once so reusing one 3 times is just plain daft.

Regarding the quick link failure, the OP might want to check for poor technique such as shifting under load or crossing the chain regularly. However, it could be just one of those things, things do occasionally fail but it is very rare. I always carry a couple of Missing Links and a chain tool, the latter has been used quite a few times to sort out club mates with chain issues that were not just a simple link job.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    What cadence do you spin? I ask as the lower it is the higher the stress you will put on the chain?

Also, do you regularly clear and libe your chains?

I suspect though that it's been pure bad luck.

I did it once on my mountain bike. I wasn't dad from home though and was able to roll down hill most of the way.
  • Sportiveman
    Iv just started using a cadence sensor I try to be at min of 70 upto 100 I was going around roundabout when 1st chain snapped and slowing down for traffic when second broke.
    I always lube and degrease my bikes both were done before they went out and never go out in the wet. :roll:

I have now bought quick links for both chains and made a chain holder from a old spoke .
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Iv just started using a cadence sensor I try to be at min of 70 upto 100 I was going around roundabout when 1st chain snapped and slowing down for traffic when second broke.
    I always lube and degrease my bikes both were done before they went out and never go out in the wet. :roll:

I have now bought quick links for both chains and made a chain holder from a old spoke .

Do you want it to happen again? you ve fitted new QL s to 2 old chains that have already snapped before, you are asking for trouble, chains are cheap.

A mate broke his femur and pelvis after another riders chain broke and bought down 5 or 6 riders, the guilty party broke his collar bone and admitted his chain had snapped & been repaired the week before.
  • Sportiveman
    mamba80 wrote:

Do you want it to happen again? you ve fitted new QL s to 2 old chains that have already snapped before, you are asking for trouble, chains are cheap.

A mate broke his femur and pelvis after another riders chain broke and bought down 5 or 6 riders, the guilty party broke his collar bone and admitted his chain had snapped & been repaired the week before.

One chain is new only done max 100 miles
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    BrandonA wrote:
    What cadence do you spin? I ask as the lower it is the higher the stress you will put on the chain?

Thats one of the funniest things I have read on this website.
  • Sportiveman
    Did a lovely 30 mile bike ride today and 2 miles from home chain snapped Again :x it was link next to quick link. So funny enough fitting new chain next Saturday not taking any chances .
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Did a lovely 30 mile bike ride today and 2 miles from home chain snapped Again :x it was link next to quick link. So funny enough fitting new chain next Saturday not taking any chances .

i hate having to say it, i honestly really really do and it gives me no pleasure what-so-ever to say this ....

BUT I TOLD YOU SO !!!!! :lol:
  • Sportiveman
    mamba80 wrote:

i hate having to say it, i honestly really really do and it gives me no pleasure what-so-ever to say this ....

BUT I TOLD YOU SO !!!!! :lol:

Lol :oops:

At least my quick links are the re useable ones and trying a kmc instead of Shimano chain this time .