New MTB ~£2K - £2500 Please offer suggestions

penski
penski Posts: 124
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
After an epic 8 month of Canyon's delays ( http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13061894 ), I have cancelled the Spectral AL 8.0 which was £2500.

Could you offer any suggestions?
Requirements: Trail/Enduro type.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bird Aeris
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    edited March 2016
    Giant Trance 2
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Raleigh chopper or failing that a tomahawk. Gives the easy rider approach to downhill and much more speed due the "exciting" brakes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant Reign if you want more enduro than trail or Specialized Stumpjumper if it's more trail than enduro.
    Both have extremely good frames which I think more than make up for the lower spec components compared to ze germans.
    The Reign is an epic ride. Amazingly good suspension and absolutely zero flex. The only enduro bike I've ridden which could get through my favourite rock garden without a brake check. Capra felt horrible on the same section and my Scout got a bit too lively.
  • penski
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I've got a bit of research to do.

Any opinions on Commencal? Are they a good/reputable company?

In particular I came across the Commencal Meta AM V4
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    tried the meta amv4, one specced with boss suspension, deville am up front, vipr2.1 at the back, great bike, but get one with a shock that has a lock out because on steep climbs it pedals like drunken donkey
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Commencal are pretty good. They seem to have learnt from past mistakes and the current models are spot on.
    Boss suspension is best avoided due to issues with spares availability.
  • penski
    I don't think I have the patience to wait for a Bird Aeris.

The Giant Trance..after looking at the direct order bikes (YT/Canyon etc).. the spec of the componentry seems so poor in comparison :( It's tough ordering Deore at the same price I was getting full XT. Though I understand the pedigree and quality of the Giant overall might be a little better.

I am not keen on the Vitus.

I hvae been seriously considering a Radon Slide 150 9.0 ( http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes-2016/mountainbike/all-mountain/slide-275/slide-150-90/ ), but I am a bit hesitant of the brand/frame despite the excellent package/price.

My top choice so far is META AM V4 ESSENTIAL 650B RED 2016 £2210 :
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta-am-v4-essential-red-2016-c2x16197641

FRAME META AM 650b, Travel 150mm, 6066 Triple Butted
    SHOCK ROCKSHOX Monarch RT3, 200x57, Travel 150mm, 3 positions
    FORK ROCKSHOX Pike RC Solo Air 160mm, 15mm axle, Tapered
    HEADSET RIDE ALPHA ZS44/56
    STEM RIDE ALPHA Freeride 50mm, 0° rise, Ø31,8mm
    BAR RIDE ALPHA 780mm, 30mm rise, Ø31,8mm
    GRIPS COMMENCAL lock on, Ø32mm
    BRAKES SRAM Guide R 200mm/180mm
    SHIFTERS SRAM GX1 1x11 speed
    REAR MECH SRAM GX1 11 speed
    BB E13 TRS+ BB92
    CRANKSET E13 TRS, 32t direct mount ring, 170mm (S/M) or 175mm (L/XL)
    CHAIN KMC X11L Silver
    CASSETTE SRAM XG1150 10-42 T
    RIMS RIDE ALPHA 650b, 32H, Tubeless Ready, 23mm
    HUBS RIDE ALPHA 32H 15mm / 12x142mm
    SPOKES 2mm with 12mm Brass Nipples
    TYRES MAXXIS Minion DHR II 27.5x2.3, Dual Compound, EXO, Tubeless ready
    SEATPOST ROCKSHOX Reverb Stealth, 125mm
    SADDLE RIDE ALPHA, Crmo rails

Any thoughts?
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    A friend of mine currently rides the V4 and really likes it. His final choice was between the V4 and Bird Aeris and he went for the V4 due to being a light lighter and having internal cable routing. Good bike to ride but I think they come up a little short, certainly shorter than the geometry would suggest. The front end also feels like it's quite low but still manages to wonder a little on steeper climbs so need to keep that in check.

I have an Aeris and having ridden that and the V4 back to back I feel better on the Aeris, less cramped and more in the bike than on top of it, but this is subjective and depends on how you like your bikes to feel. The Yellow Aeris is still in stock and they can turn builds around in 3 days roughly so not a huge wait. Other colours are due in next month but expect pre-orders to be built up first so more of a wait.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • penski
    A friend of mine currently rides the V4 and really likes it. His final choice was between the V4 and Bird Aeris and he went for the V4 due to being a light lighter and having internal cable routing. Good bike to ride but I think they come up a little short, certainly shorter than the geometry would suggest. The front end also feels like it's quite low but still manages to wonder a little on steeper climbs so need to keep that in check.

I have an Aeris and having ridden that and the V4 back to back I feel better on the Aeris, less cramped and more in the bike than on top of it, but this is subjective and depends on how you like your bikes to feel. The Yellow Aeris is still in stock and they can turn builds around in 3 days roughly so not a huge wait. Other colours are due in next month but expect pre-orders to be built up first so more of a wait.

This is a very difficult decision between the Bird Aeris and the Commencal Meta AM V4.

The Bird Aeris is coming out about £140 dearer, so not much in it at all.

Anybody know roughly what the weight of the Bird Aeris with a typical GX groupset/Pike might be?

Also, the 150mm dropper post is the same price as a 125mm - would it help me to go with the larger travel option? I am 5'9" looking to get a medium
  • penski
    I have found the weight, it is around the 13.2kg mark
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Weight sounds about right. The Commencal comes up a bit lighter.

At your height a medium Aeris would be a good option with the 35mm stem and you can still run a 150mm dropper. For the Commencal you could go either medium or large. I tried my friend's medium and would want at least a 60mm stem on it as it felt a little short and cramped. Going to a large would force me into a 125mm dropper, not a problem in itself, but the longer seat tube and overall wheelbase would make it feel a bit bigger under me.

Both really good bikes so either option would be a good choice.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • penski
    I have just put the order down for the Commencal. Hoping to put the Canyon Spectral and the 8 month delay behind me.

Thanks for your help all, much appreciated as always.