Velo Orange Grand Cru Threadless Bottom Bracket

iwantblue
iwantblue Posts: 134
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Hi,
for those that haven't seen my other thread, I'm looking for a Bottom Bracket for my Giant TCX1 which has an 68mm Pushfit frame, only I need square taper or isis fit, this is a more specific question, so....

Has anyone ever used or know someone who has used a VELO ORANGE Grand Cru Threadless Bottom Bracket ??

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/bottom-brackets/grand-cru-threadless-bottom-brackets.html

dsc_0005.jpg

There is also a more local version of the same idea, but not as nicely presented, more like the mK1 version of the velo Orange part if you will at sgs cycles

35532L107.jpg

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/first-threadless-68mm-sealed-bearing-bottom-bracket-prod35532/

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Will not work with your frame. They are for use in a standard threaded frame with damaged threads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iwantblue
    nicklouse wrote:
    Will not work with your frame. They are for use in a standard threaded frame with damaged threads.

Oh well looks like another dead end then Thanks anyway, I realised thats what they were for , but the sjs one actually says for threadless as well, though I don't know the id to check the total expansion of these.

EDIT:_I'm an Idiot Nick appologies, I took MontyDogs advice ref 68mm(best guess at the time) and ran with it even after I found pics of my actual BB saying 86, I just didn't put the two in context mainly in my defence due to reading so much BB stuff regarding sizes etc.

so please close this admin. Oh I can do it...delete :) Oh No I Cant....
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I bought one from cycle clinic seems to work ok so far but only got it as I had knackered my BB threads.

I like the neon colours.

Dunno why it wouldn't work in a threadless BB but im not a BB expert.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IWANTBLUE wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Oh well looks like another dead end then Thanks anyway, I realised thats what they were for , but the sjs one actually says for threadless as well, though I don't know the id to check the total expansion of these.

EDIT:_I'm an Idiot Nick appologies, I took MontyDogs advice ref 68mm(best guess at the time) and ran with it even after I found pics of my actual BB saying 86, I just didn't put the two in context mainly in my defence due to reading so much BB stuff regarding sizes etc.

so please close this admin. Oh I can do it...delete :) Oh No I Cant....

TBH I would either buy a cheap bike to use and sell on after rehab or do a frame swap.

Unfortunately you have one of the BB standards where there are no converters available.

Things you need to know about BB shells is the width. 68mm is the standard BSA width. And then the diameter of the hole threaded or not.

I admit to not looking st your bike spec at the start as it seemed that you knew what you had.

Again I am only doing a bit of guess work that you have one of the GXP press fit frames. (You don't give year if frame) so I went on the first one that came up on google. To give correct and accurate info make model and year (even sales region some times) should be given as bikes from different years and counties can be very different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iwantblue
    nicklouse wrote:

TBH I would either buy a cheap bike to use and sell on after rehab or do a frame swap.

Unfortunately you have one of the BB standards where there are no converters available.

Things you need to know about BB shells is the width. 68mm is the standard BSA width. And then the diameter of the hole threaded or not.

I admit to not looking st your bike spec at the start as it seemed that you knew what you had.

Again I am only doing a bit of guess work that you have one of the GXP press fit frames. (You don't give year if frame) so I went on the first one that came up on google. To give correct and accurate info make model and year (even sales region some times) should be given as bikes from different years and counties can be very different.

No Worries Nick, I had no issue with the advice from you or MD, in the absence of the bike in hand, I was quite heppy to go with your collective assistance and was happy going forward with the 68mm info as I had remembered and then proved the Bottom Bracket with photo's , as I stated I'm an IDIOT.... I had a complete inability to 'see' the difference between 68 and 86mm, rather than 'spot the difference', conversely I gladly took this as confirmation we were on the right track...DOH!
    I am waiting to receive the Physio parts (they have been made and sent) and I have an idea that for the low speed and power output of my initial efforts, movement will probably be passive initially, I may have a way of converting my old FSA cranks to do what I need.

I can't be certain till it gets here however but hope I just have to find my old cx cranks and i'll be good for initial work anyway.
    Thanks, please close the thread at your convenience as the velo orange is definitely of no use as you point out :)