Johan Cruijff passes away

JoostG
JoostG Posts: 189
edited March 2016 in The cake stop
Hollands greatest sportsman died at age 68. Not only was Cruijff our best player ever, but also he changed Dutch football single handed. He enriched our language, and made football seems so simple ("If you have the ball, the opponent can't score"). He putted a lot of effort in offering poorer children the chance to play sports. I still remember the day that my dad took me, at age 11, to a cup game in Eindhoven to see the master himself. Strange to see and feel that the death of such a person can make you shiver as much as recent events in Brussel. Holland will miss him.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    A real legend.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    He has to have achieved what every sportsman would aspire to. When any pundit is asked to name an all time World 11, Cruyff would be in there.

One of the first I remember trying to imitate in the street (along with Best and Charlton) with the (crackly) commentary going through my head and grazed knees from trying that turn.

Class act from a Golden Age of football.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I've always bought my daughter the most minimally studded boots she could get away with on his advice that it helps young players develop balance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The only bit I'd argue with to the OP is that he changed Dutch football single handed.

1. He didn't, he simply took the theories of others and evolved them. (Rinus Michels, most notably)

2. It wasn't Dutch football that he changed, it was WORLD football.

A genius technically as a player and intellectually as a footballing brain. We've not seen anyone at his level in both fields. The sport owes him a massive debt and he will be missed.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I recall buying a pair of grossly overpriced Adidas boots in the hope I could become "godlike" like Cruyff…I didn't but it never stopped me trying, through school/work/pub football…all for just one fleeting moment to complete the "turn"!!
    It never happened, and to this day, regardless of all the other tricks performed by players the turn stands out for its simplicity and utter brilliance.As the previous poster said… one of the 1st names on the best ever 11 sheet.RIP..He was to coin his own phrase...TOTAL FOOTBALL!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I knew he was ill but im sure i read recently he was improving and the prognosis was good...obviously not :(

As a player i'd have him up there with Pele and Maradona, much more influential than those two in a coaching sense though.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    stop what you're doing, pour a glass of wine or a beer, and sit down and watch this...

https://youtu.be/kIAVTd3jVe8

RIP