Flatbar Road Bike Brakes.

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited March 2016 in Workshop
I'm in the process of building a flatebar road bike.

I have a Caad 10 disc frame and have most of the stuff I need but not sure on what brakes would be best but I want to go hydraulic so from the bottom upwards I was thinking.
All Shimano brakes.

M 447, M 610, SLX or XT.
Apart from the M610 I have all of the others that are all new?

What do you reckon? ( i'm thinking perhaps the XT's might be too strong for a road bike )

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    I think the stopping power comes from the size of the disc rotor and pad type, size of tyre/contact patch. You need to check what the maximum size rotors that Cannondale recommend for the frame/fork, also is it post mount or the newer flat mount standard, centre lock or six bolt hubs as that may affect your choice of calipers/adaptors and brake levers.

There was another thread discussing disc brake wheels and rotor recommendations for road bikes, which seem to be 140mm/140mm F&R, 160mm/160mm F&R and 160mm/140mm F&R. One contributor said to be careful about using 180mm rotors especially on the front fork as it may have not been designed for to the forces applied, and could break or something to that effect.
  • skooter
    DJ58 wrote:
    I think the stopping power comes from the size of the disc rotor and pad type, size of tyre/contact patch. You need to check what the maximum size rotors that Cannondale recommend for the frame/fork, also is it post mount or the newer flat mount standard, centre lock or six bolt hubs as that may affect your choice of calipers/adaptors and brake levers.

There was another thread discussing disc brake wheels and rotor recommendations for road bikes, which seem to be 140mm/140mm F&R, 160mm/160mm F&R and 160mm/140mm F&R. One contributor said to be careful about using 180mm rotors especially on the front fork as it may have not been designed for to the forces applied, and could break or something to that effect.

On my road bikes I have 160mm on front and rear and on all three disc bikes but they are only mechanical not hydraulic.. I will check on the new Caad 12 and see what they are?

Cheers
  • skooter
    Just looked at the Cannondales and it varies from model to model with 160mm F / 140mm R or 160mm both F and R.
  • skooter
    I have bought 160mm rotors for both front and back so I will put them on for the moment but I might change the rear to a 140mm and see if that is a better set up for me?
  • skooter
    DJ58 wrote:

Thanks for the links..
    Lots to read about disc brakes for road bikes on the internet very interesting.