Fitting Alfine chain tips/length

jeepie
jeepie Posts: 497
edited March 2016 in The workshop
Hi All,

I'm trying to take on more maintenance myself. My chain for my Alfine 8 hub is completely stretched and so I've bought a new one > SRAM PC850 8 Speed Chain with a quick link.

I've a couple of questions:

1) How do I determine how long the chain will be and do I just break at any link and then join it with the quick link?
2) Any other tips as I've not done this before?

Thanks - my plan was to count the links in the old chain, break the new one to the same length and then use the quick link. But I've not done this before and can't find any instructions online.

Cheers

Jeepie

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why did you get a chain for a bike with derailleur gears?

you would be better with a single speed chain. (also a geared chain may not fit if the cogs are single speed ones).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jeepie
    I asked the shop and they said as I had an 8 speed hub a 7-9 speed chain would be fine. I can cancel my order and change it if you'd recommend an alternative Nick.
  • nicklouse
    shop has no idea.

you need to know the chain width. look at it for info.

cog width for derailleur geared bikes is not the same as for hub geared bikes. ( single speed and hub geared bike tend to have chains that are 1/8 wide.

some reading

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html#sprockets

I would double check with the shop (or another) don't mention the number of gears just that it is a hub geared bike and see what they say.

also what make/model/year? as the online specs might list the original chain.

Note if a alternative sprocket has been fitted then yes a narrower (derailleur geared chain could work as would a normal 1/8" for SS or hub geared bike)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jeepie
    Thanks Nick. The original chain was Shimano CN-HG50. I think this is a 6/7/8 speed chain but I couldn't find this exactly one available so got SRAM PC850 8 Speed Chain as it's the same speed as the CN-HG50 but comes with a quick link which I assumed would be easier to fit....
  • HG50s are only for cassette gears, not internal hub gears, as far as I'm aware. You want a single speed chain, for instance a KMC S10 (albeit this is a stainless steel one, I got one for £10 a few years back).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • nicklouse
    Jeepie wrote:
    Thanks Nick. The original chain was Shimano CN-HG50. I think this is a 6/7/8 speed chain but I couldn't find this exactly one available so got SRAM PC850 8 Speed Chain as it's the same speed as the CN-HG50 but comes with a quick link which I assumed would be easier to fit....

ok in that case you will be fine.

setting up move hub forward (release tensioners or hub nuts) fit chain as short as you can and then tension. about 1/2" vertical movement at the center of one chain run.
  • jeepie
    Perfect - thank you so much Nick!