Fabric cageless bottles

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2016 in Road general
They seem quite popular, but whats the point of the fact that they do not need a cage?

Comments

• wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    Cleaner frame lines when out without a bottle?
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, I'll give you that one.

Guess you have to ever go out without a bottle and be so fussed about cleaner frame lines to want them, yet not enough to just remove cage.

Slightly ironic that the bottles best feature is when you do not use it.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    if you tie it into a biodegradable paper based bottle it might be worthwhile.
    Then you can just throw the bottle away as you get to the end of the ride for that pro-look, not forgetting to ditch the un-eater gels at the same time.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Funky and clever, but then so, in the eyes of some, is a dancing chihuahua in evening dress.

I have no issue with the 'extra weight and aesthetic dissonance' of a cage - or three.

What I do appreciate is having a bundle of bidons in the porch that can be filled as appropriate and popped into the cage of any visiting offspring, friend or relative of a more distant nature.

This may be a solution to a problem that isn't.

And end-of-season team bidons are a couple of quid each. Not so up-to-date, but who's checking?

My views might be rendered irrelevant, since I also look darkly upon carbon frames, full-suss MTBs and triple chainrings on a road bike.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, you are a bit tied into the 'system'. Did not think of that.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    These will look best on a more retro/steel etc bikes - where modern bottle cages will look a bit naff when there's no bottle in them?

Horses for courses, chill out you naysayers!
  • Anonymous
    Would it look any better with a bottle in it?

Why would you have a modern cage on a retro bike in the first place?
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    handy enough on a CX bike, bottle there for training but no cage for racing?
    fay ce que voudres
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't really see the point. It would make my bottles obsolete and it's got to be trickier to get the bottle back in. Bottle cages aren't ugly anyway
  • cookeeemonster
    Carbonator wrote:

just....because.

Something.
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:

just....because.

Something.

That makes no sense.

If you give a monkeys about your retro bike looking retro, you would put a retro cage on it.

Having a bottle in a modern cage does not hide the modern cage. You can still see it in all its modernity.
  • Anonymous
    Fenix wrote:
    Don't really see the point. It would make my bottles obsolete and it's got to be trickier to get the bottle back in. Bottle cages aren't ugly anyway

Am going to try one.
    My thoughts are that it will be a faff to use.
  • cookeeemonster
    Carbonator wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

just....because.

Something.

That makes no sense.

If you give a monkeys about your retro bike looking retro, you would put a retro cage on it.

Having a bottle in a modern cage does not hide the modern cage. You can still see it in all its modernity.

Meant to be a jokey reply.

As before - chill out people, it will suit some, but not others, why you do care about a bottle cage?
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Makes no sense to me. Unless you have no friends. I suppose you could lend the bottles to others - since I assume they also fit in a standard cage - but you could never borrow from anyone. Nor could you ever take a bottle from the roadside or a support vehicle if you were on a supported ride or a Gran Fondo. Daft.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    I tried it, pretty much because I'm vain. Swapped out after I hit a pothole and one of the bottles was crushed under a car!

Frankly they're unintuitive to use - it's fine on a social ride or solo, but absolutely not on a fast one. And you wouldn't use them racing anyway.

So if anyone wants a lightly used bottle and a whole bunch of fittings in green/black, lemme know!
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    Fenix wrote:

This is my view. I see some people claim it's just as easy, or in the case of some people, easier, than using a normal bottle/cage combination. Quite how it can be easier is beyond me, and I don't see how it can be just as easy either.

I actually think bikes look weird without two cages. If you have a 'retro' bike, then get some nice stainless bottle cages, there's nothing retro about these cageless bottles. While we're on the subject, you're not pro if you don't use Elite custom cages ;)
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    +1 for CX usage!! It's a PITA for me to keep putting cages on and off my bike. I'm a lower level rider who also uses their bike for commuting, so dont have a dedicated race bike.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Tried one a few months ago, it lasted maybe 5 or 6 rides before a bump at the bottom of a descent sent it flying and shattered the bottle. Haven't bothered replacing it yet. It was a bit more difficult to put the bottle back than with a cage but that might have been less of a problem if I'd had more time to get used to it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    +1 for CX usage!! It's a PITA for me to keep putting cages on and off my bike. I'm a lower level rider who also uses their bike for commuting, so dont have a dedicated race bike.

+2

though I ve not tried one myself
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver