Baggies over Lycra

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited May 2016 in Commuting general
So are you proud of your skin tight commuter super hero look or do you cover up?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• For commuting neither clearly for CX/MTB baggy/ish which works well.
  • Do love my baggies.
  • itboffin
    Do love my baggies.

oy you you're barred :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Obviously not just me then. There is at least one other!
    Urban Baggy with Road Lycra + Pad underneath?
    Main reason is a bit of extra wind chill protection and some modesty.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I like baggies, but my commute is too long to worry about looks.

Full Lycra all the way for me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin wrote:
    Do love my baggies.

You aint no mod bruv!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    itboffin wrote:
    Do love my baggies.

You aint no mod bruv!
    Is anyone? I wear baggies.
  • My commute includes a train journey in the middle, that often involves standing...... so baggies save my blushes.
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    jeans... or skirt. Lycra sleeves maybe at most.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Baggies over my bib tights, and my enduro mtb lid on my Tri-cross!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Lycra. Baggies would do my nut in flapping about all over the place. You are still covered up with lycra.

I also have a walk down through my office with approx 200 people in. I like to think of it as a feast for their eyes ;)
  • darren636
    darren636 Posts: 102
    Men should not be outside in skin tight attire.

Its creepy.
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Assume you are a MTB rider ;) I have been there and had that attitude. However when swapping over to road, it makes sense and is the most comfortable and efficient form of attire when pedaling ones skinny tyre steed ;)
  • darren636
    darren636 Posts: 102
    I used to commute 2 hours per day on my old m-trax
    Would never consider Lycra
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • itboffin
    Holy moly 2 hours without padding you're undercarriage must be made of steel
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    Holy moly 2 hours without padding you're undercarriage must be made of steel

probably depends on the type of ride?

I have no problems riding into london, and back in civies 30/40 mile around trip.

I do tend to use some merino boxers (padded) for MTB/CX but thats much more energetic so makes sense.

I find civvies are fine unless it's either hot and sweaty or your soaked though (rain) but time on the bike it's self isn't a problem on civies.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Like Roger, padded briefs and then shorts/trousers with SPD shoes. Max Normal.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Depends where you are going, being a lycra clad adonis on a train would be too distracting for other passengers.

On the road i just wear lycra and put up with the adulation.
  • karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    Hmm, has anyone any underwear reccommendations for non-lycra cycling ?
    I'm finding the groin of my cotton boxers being shreaded over time.

I can find lots of padded underwear, but I've only got a 30min commute so just looking for normal, but made of sterner material. The closest I've found is the Under Armour range, anybody got any experience of these ? Are they worth the price ?

Cheers.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    KarlMcr wrote:
    Hmm, has anyone any underwear reccommendations for non-lycra cycling ?
    I'm finding the groin of my cotton boxers being shreaded over time.

I can find lots of padded underwear, but I've only got a 30min commute so just looking for normal, but made of sterner material. The closest I've found is the Under Armour range, anybody got any experience of these ? Are they worth the price ?

Cheers.

I've only got a 30 min commute, but for comfort I ride in lycra with baggies. I've got to be in a suit in the office, and I definitely don't want to be commuting in that, so I just do the full swap. But then I'm unfit, and push hard for the ride in most days so need the shower at the other end.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Rockhound
    Rockhound Posts: 20
    Hi Karl,

I commute 7 miles each way to work everyday on canal towpath and shared-use paths. I've been using the Gore Inner padded shorts under my three-quarter 'gym-style' shorts. If it's raining/cold then I go with the Altura waterproof trousers as the towpath is practically like a wolf-run on a bike (wolf-cycling?).

https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-bike-wear-inner-2-0-short-EV226437?esvt=1432-GOUKE281548&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-36166-1&esvcrea=61233215576&esvplace=&esvd=t&esvo=EV226437-M-BLK&esvaid=50080&gclid=CK2OirPG6swCFWgW0wodZ_AARQ

The link is just for guidance. I think I got mine on Amazon slightly cheaper when they had a sale on.

I bought 5 of these over a year ago and so far they still look almost as good as new with nothing frayed, ripped or shredded. I used to have a two Endura padded shorts (the cotton grey ones) when I first started cycling but the Gore ones are so much better - more practical, quicker drying, and so much more comfortable. I was sceptical thinking "how much for a pair of undershorts?!", so I very grudgingly bought one pair to trial them out. After 2 days, I'd ordered 4 more pairs. I think these are brilliant and perfect for my cycling needs but YMMV. In hindsight I feel that I wasted money on the Endura ones despite them being cheaper.

I believe lycra should be limited strictly to competitive cycling - it seems we have a morbid fascination with it compared to the rest of Europe when it comes to 'normal' cycling. But then I also feel there should be a financial penalty/ban for/on those of the opposite sex who think semi-transparent tights are outer clothing, and on the metrosexuals who think skinnies-with-a-loose/full-nappy look is cool. But what do I know...
  • im only commute 8miles each way. sometime baggies over lycra, sometimes just boxers and baggies and if I have forgotten to do some washing well just baggies :roll: (this doesnt happen very often)
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Rockhound wrote:
    I believe lycra should be limited strictly to competitive cycling - it seems we have a morbid fascination with it compared to the rest of Europe when it comes to 'normal' cycling. But then I also feel there should be a financial penalty/ban for/on those of the opposite sex who think semi-transparent tights are outer clothing, and on the metrosexuals who think skinnies-with-a-loose/full-nappy look is cool. But what do I know...

If you're going on canal towpaths and so on then (I hope) your speed is going to be pretty slow...of course you don't need lycra or even cycle specific clothes depending on journey length (i.e. for shorter rides).

But people who ride longer distances to work - at speed - will find lycra far more comfortable and practical, and should ignore people who don't believe it's 'normal' to wear clothing fit for purpose ;)
  • karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    Rockhound wrote:

The link is just for guidance. I think I got mine on Amazon slightly cheaper when they had a sale on.

I bought 5 of these over a year ago and so far they still look almost as good as new with nothing frayed, ripped or shredded. I used to have a two Endura padded shorts (the cotton grey ones) when I first started cycling but the Gore ones are so much better - more practical, quicker drying, and so much more comfortable. I was sceptical thinking "how much for a pair of undershorts?!", so I very grudgingly bought one pair to trial them out. After 2 days, I'd ordered 4 more pairs. I think these are brilliant and perfect for my cycling needs but YMMV. In hindsight I feel that I wasted money on the Endura ones despite them being cheaper.

Cheers for the reply & link.

Lycra is definitely not for me, I only mentioned it as the only conversations I've found online related to underwear as about going commando in lycra or not. (commado is the consensus, fwiw)
  • itboffin
    As cookiemonster has already pointed out those of us who have long distance commutes quickly realise good quality tight fitting Lycra is the only option if you want to remain comfortable and sore free well relatively sore free.

I found this out much to my own pain and discomfort, that said I ride across London everyday in normal clothes no padding or Lycra however I do wear cycling jeans or trousers after killing several pairs of expensive normal jeans. :-(

Right tools (no pun) for the job
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Guess people are different I find lightly padded merino boxers comfy, far more than Lycra copes with 40/70 mile CX/MTB rides and longer trips into London for training etc Lycra isn't needed. You'll need at least a change of top how ever causal it is, but Lycra isn't a must.