1st Bike in 18 years

Mdv1979
Mdv1979 Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi, about to join the cycle to work scheme and have a budget I'm looking to keep to (£600-£750). Only live two miles from work so won't be used on long road distances, but will be looking to use off road/ single track.

I know at this price it's pointless looking at a FS as you get poorer components than you would get in a same price HT.

Seen a Cube Attention 27.5 recently but haven't heard much about them.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Attention- ... _81859.htm

Any advice on what to look for alternatives greatly appreciated

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what scheme you are on and where you can buy from. At that price Halfords/Decathlon/Go Outdoors offer the best value.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    £1000 FS bike (Bossnut?) got 5 starts in Bikeradar review last week and Boardman £1000 FS is a very capable bike.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    If you want to get a hardtail like the cube, go for this one:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Attention- ... _84775.htm

A bit pricier but has an airfork and is a bit better component wise. The frame is the same. I had a very similar bike (Cube Acid) until December (upgrade) and loved it. A friend has that exact bike and is very satisfied with it as well.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Voodoo bizango is the starting point but as above where can you buy from ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is no point making suggestions until we know what scheme he is on and therefor which retailers he can use!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    The Rookie wrote:
    There is no point making suggestions until we know what scheme he is on and therefor which retailers he can use!

He seems to be able to use tredz...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tredz accept most, but there other shops, and other makes than Cube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And we've had people in the past who have asked about bikes they can't actually get as well.....hence the question.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mdv1979
    Mdv1979 Posts: 3
    It's the Halfords cycle to work scheme. I can use some other stores but not Go Outdoors
  • As you'll see from my other posts I'm newish to this and went for a decathlon bike, very impressed!

I'm going to be hypocritical and suggest you try a support a lbs, they'll be grateful of the sale and should be very well placed to advise and let you try a few bikes (they might not be affiliated to any one brand).

If it's only a 2m commute then I'd concentrate on what you need from the bike from a leisure point of view, even the most aggressive DH will be ok for a 10 minute ride to work.