24h event gearing help.

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited March 2016 in MTB general
Alright chaps, a bunch of us have entered this years Mountain Mayhem in the solo category.
While ill be working on fitness in the coming months i was thinking about gearing.

The bike ill be using has a 1x10 setup, 32t front ring and a 42t expander on the back. Now each lap is around 7 miles and almost 1000ft of climbing. Last year we entered as a team of four so had 2 laps on and then about 3.5 hours before the next stint which worked well until i buggered my knee, getting out of a tent... I completed 6 laps last year while the others done 8 or 9.

Anyway, as we intend on on riding for longer stints this year i was thinking would a 28t front ring help when ill be knackered. I guess it will make it more twiddly on the flat, and possibly slower but hopefully will help with the climbs when ill be at rock bottom and scraping the barrel to keep going.

Just wondering what people thoughts are really, and if anyone has used a 28t front ring.

Cheers
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    28/42 is the same ratio as 24/36. That is the lowest gear on my 2x setup, and while it can help on the occasional, super steep bit, it usually just makes the tires spin., and I definitely could do without it. I honestly wouldn't go for a 28t in the front, look at getting a 30t if you feel like it.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • fudgey
    Thats a good point. At the weekend in 32/42 it would light up the rear on steep rooty climbs.
    On the mayhem lap,there are a couple of long drags, one steep grass climb that at night gets wet and was bad enough last year, there is also a steep but short rooty climb too.

Maybe ill just stick with what i have, could try a 30t i guess.

Cheers for the input.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Friend last year rode it solo on a SS 29er - 32/22, you will be fine on a 32!

If you want to drop the gearing the realistic smallest front chainring is a 30T anyway as you can't fit a 28T to the middle position bolt holes, so you would be using a granny and that will screw your chainline.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ...on the other hand I'd go with whatever is (realisitically) your lowest gear. Why add to the struggle ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just go with what you're used to.
  • fudgey
    I guess ill probably leave it then. if it comes to it, get off and push hahaha

Cheers chaps.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    24hr events are about balancing the riding, resting, stupidity and banter with mates.
    Top tip, when you're tired, stop for some grub and a rest, don't go for gap jumping that big 20' hole you noticed earlier with a vaguely lip shaped lump in front of it. You might be able to do it normally but not after 16 hours riding.