Canyon - Waited 8 months for my order

penski
penski Posts: 124
edited July 2017 in Road general
Hello all,

Some of you may have seen my posts in the Canyon threads, where I outlined in quite some detailed my 'encounter' with Canyon.

Briefly put - I made the order on the 17th of August, with delivery expected end September. Every 2-3 weeks I was told dispatch was imminent until end of January when they finally said dispatch would be mid March.

Of course its mid March, and now I'm looking at mid April. IF it finally arrives, I will have waited 8 months.

Friends and family are slightly aghast, the staff have sympathies but can't do much, Frederik the assistant to CEO is not interested. These days the cycling media is so far up Canyon's backside, I doubt they'd be interested.

My only concern now is that in probably in July-August the 2017 range will be announced and I'll be left regretting my purchase.

What would you do?

Comments

• boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Cancel and buy something else. There's loads of nice bikes that don't have 'Canyon' down the tubes.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Cancel and buy a TCR Advanced Pro 0. Deals to be had as well but basically full DA, a 1300g carbon wheel set and one of the best frames ever built. Or the Advanced 1 which is 2.5k, similar to what you pay for a decent spec Canyon but with the back-up of Giant UK and your LBS if things do go wrong. My mate is also waiting on a Canyon, I tried to talk him out of it but failed. Ordered in Jan and expected first week of March but, surprise, surprise it has been delayed two weeks so far. I expect he will be waiting longer than that.
  • I'm on my 5th Canyon, they are definitely worth the weight.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Heavy then?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Unless you get a gesture from canyon by way of a reduced price or higher spec bike I'd tell them to shove it as it provides an insight to their ethos as a company past the point of failing to manage and implement new stock control and manufacturing processes if you believe the public positioning from Canyon.

There are plenty of great bikes out there supported with deals. I've just bought my second Specialized road bike and I have a concept store locally, the staff are keen, knowledgeable and supported with strong commercial deals. It's actually a pleasure to deal with them!
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Cancel and buy a TCR Advanced Pro 0. Deals to be had as well but basically full DA, a 1300g carbon wheel set and one of the best frames ever built. Or the Advanced 1 which is 2.5k, similar to what you pay for a decent spec Canyon but with the back-up of Giant UK and your LBS if things do go wrong. My mate is also waiting on a Canyon, I tried to talk him out of it but failed. Ordered in Jan and expected first week of March but, surprise, surprise it has been delayed two weeks so far. I expect he will be waiting longer than that.

Am looking at the new TCR Pro also. Any deals you care to tell us about?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    edited March 2016
    The only good thing to come out of this is that you missed out on riding in the winter weather with your new, clean, bike (small plus :) ).

I personally would have cancelled before now but as you didn't, you can't undo the past; time to move on. You've waited patiently this long (and its not yet summer) so I reckon there are 2 options that can be followed:

a) Email Canyon today and inform them in a polite but forceful manner that if the correctly specced bike has not been delivered to you by the last due date they gave you, the order is cancelled immediately on that date; or

b) Cancel immediately and buy a.n.other brand.

I wouldn't accept any more of their promises so I would likely go with my option b) but good luck with whatever option you eventually decide upon. Buying a bike shouldn't be so difficult or stressful.
  • As above. Making me wait 8 months I'd be expecting a massive discount or gesture. If not they can poke it.

There's plenty of other great performing road bikes that can be picked up within a week.

I'd also email the customer letters section of the popular bike mags and hope they publish it.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    See viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13041735

I snapped and cancelled my order. Still very p***ed off with them.
    But as others have said, there are loads of excellent deals out there and the bikes are available now!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Even if you were offered a discount on the bike this is a 2016 model you have ordered no doubt. Chances are in August they will be launching the 2017 line and all this years range will be heavily discounted anyway. I think Canyon have come out in the media to explain the reasons behind the problems but the way they have managed it they deserve all they get if customers walk away from them.

As others have mentioned there are so many bikes out there equally well spec'd that you could have in less than a week. I have seen pretty decent discounts already in bike shops around where I live.

The other thing you have to think of is, what if your bike finally arrives and there is a problem with it? How much longer will it take to sort that out ? you could go a whole year without the bike you wanted. That would taint it for me no matter how good it was.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Get on a concerted twitter campaign and copy in bike radar, road.cc et al.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have a Canyon Ultimate CF and it is a good bike but TBH 8 months wait is ridiculous, in your position I would have cancelled a long time back.
    As others have said there are lots of good bikes out there, Canyon are good bikes but not worth the wait IMO.
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    Def cancel
    Teach them a lesson - its a crowded market so if the manufacturer isnt on point them F them
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    deejaysee wrote:
    Def cancel
    Teach them a lesson - its a crowded market so if the manufacturer isnt on point them F them

i got my Aeroad and its fantastic, plus Canyon eventually gave me a cracking deal on upgraded parts, due to some courier damage (not their direct fault)

the delivery was also earlier than promised, they seem to be more cautious on dates now (so i ordered in Nov and got bike end of feb, delivery was put back at one point to end of march)

But it was MAVIC who really impressed, the damage was nothing to do with them but they offered to either repair FOC or warranty it in the future, super impressed - Canyon take note :)

i d hedge bets but still look for deals at LBS and cancel if you find better.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Cancel. I still can;t get my head around why people still want to deal with this company. There are plenty of other bike brands out there who produce bikes that compare
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Yeah, I don't get it either. It's not as if Canyon are significantly cheaper, as they should be as an internet only company. Cannondale and Giant for just two offer bikes at similar prices to Canyon
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    Cancel! I ordered August and gave up waiting in February - within a couple weeks I'd sourced and built up a Cervelo with etap. So many options, don't waste your time waiting. They haven't done you any favours, why bother doing them one?
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    Cancel, tell them in the time its taken for your bike to come you have knocked up the mrs, had twins and now need a 7 seater.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    PTestTeam wrote:
    Cancel. I still can;t get my head around why people still want to deal with this company. There are plenty of other bike brands out there who produce bikes that compare
    +1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    PTestTeam wrote:
    +1
    +1 on that +1
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • penski
    I have just spoken to them, they said the bike would be dispatched next week, or the week after. I don't even want to get into how many times I have heard this.

I said to them that the bike was ordered on the very day the 2016 range was announced (August 17th), and that as the 2017 range was getting close, these 2016 models would be on discount soon.

So I asked them to discount the order or I would cancel it - they said they cannot discount, so I have cancelled the order. I have asked for a refund on the money which they have had since September 2015, they say this will take 5 business days.

Thanks for your thoughts and input all.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Now you can get all excited with choosing a new bike.

Enjoy and the pain will disappear once you start riding your new choice
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • bendertherobot
    Penski wrote:
    I have just spoken to them, they said the bike would be dispatched next week, or the week after. I don't even want to get into how many times I have heard this.

I said to them that the bike was ordered on the very day the 2016 range was announced (August 17th), and that as the 2017 range was getting close, these 2016 models would be on discount soon.

So I asked them to discount the order or I would cancel it - they said they cannot discount, so I have cancelled the order. I have asked for a refund on the money which they have had since September 2015, they say this will take 5 business days.

Thanks for your thoughts and input all.

Hang on, they've HAD you money? How did that happen? I'd be seriously looking at compensation there.
  • bendertherobot
    Anyhow, it's a Spectral yes. So let's play, I have no idea about MTB's so how about:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s183p ... -27-5-2015

any good for you?
  • penski
    Anyhow, it's a Spectral yes. So let's play, I have no idea about MTB's so how about:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s183p ... -27-5-2015

any good for you?

Gosh..I think I have a psychological block with regards to that Lefty fork. :oops:
  • bendertherobot
    Lefty forks are utterly utterly cool. I stop and stare every time i see one. It makes me yearn for a Slate. I adore them even if I know nothing about whether they are any good.
  • penski
    Hang on, they've HAD you money? How did that happen? I'd be seriously looking at compensation there.

As the order was due for dispatch mid-end September, I thought I better pay as to avoid delays (lol), so I paid early September by choice.
  • Semantik
    Penski wrote:

As the order was due for dispatch mid-end September, I thought I better pay as to avoid delays (lol), so I paid early September by choice.

Sound like a bunch of scumbags.

Just on another note and asking this as someone who has never shopped with Canyon..is it the case here that some orders are just falling off the radar within the order process and getting forgotten about? or are most/all buyers waiting the same disgusting length of time as the OP? Just curious to know in case the urge ever crops up to throw them some of my money...
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Semantik wrote:
    Just on another note and asking this as someone who has never shopped with Canyon..is it the case here that some orders are just falling off the radar within the order process and getting forgotten about? or are most/all buyers waiting the same disgusting length of time as the OP? Just curious to know in case the urge ever crops up to throw them some of my money...

Just find some nice person to kick you in the crotch, it sounds like it would be a lot more fun than buying from Canyon
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Semantik
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Just find some nice person to kick you in the crotch, it sounds like it would be a lot more fun than buying from Canyon

Probably a lot cheaper too, I guess.