Morning

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited March 2016 in Commuting chat
Hello everyone, hope you are all well.

I've been sitting getting fat for the last 12 months but hopefully I'll be commuting again soon. So, as usual I'm looking at frames........

I'm thinking that my Soloist is a little too big, although I still love riding it and I'm riding down to France to watch the beginning of the TdF in July so I was thinking about getting something that can take a rack. Specifically I'm looking at an Equilibrium. I'm struggling to find alternatives.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Afternoon.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    what sort of time do you call this?

*taps watch*
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Kinesis?
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    At Ocuk we thought you'd died Chris! :shock:
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I am looking at a Kinesis ATR Tripster - everyone who reports back on them say they are pretty brilliant. I need (well...) a new bike for fairly intensive late summer autumn schedule and was considering one of these. I might shell out for this Ti frame as they do look beautiful - or even the GF-Ti which is even pricier. I have ridden the GF and it was just glorious; but I do like the ability to switch in silly tyres and get muddy so currently thinking adventure rather than tourer.

Cheapest I have seen them is 1349 - Merlin and PBK
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Pickenflick?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I remember you.
    You'd better start riding some more then. I keep meaning to post a link to the Ditchling Devil on your Fakebook feed. But that means I'd have to do it.
    Equilibriums are generally highly thought of. Kinesis is a good call. Do you particularly want steel? Rim or disc brake?
    Will the Canyon not take a rack?
  • asprilla
    At Ocuk we thought you'd died Chris! :shock:

Close, I've been working mainly in other countries for the last 18 months; very little riding or running and lots of drinking, dinners and hotel fry-ups.

On the subject of the bike, it doesn't have to be steel but I'm just thinking that's the best option at the moment. I was outbid on a Tifosi Duro titanium frame last night but I was looking at that because it was less than half price. It went for about £567.

Ideally, I don't want to put too much more to it than I'd get for the Soloist and some other stuff I'm selling. Lets say, £800 (although I was looking at the Bob Jackson Vulcan with the main triangle upgraded to R725 which would be £910.

Also I'd prefer rim brakes as I'll be using the groupset I've just stripped off the Soloist. As you know, I'm not a fan of mechanical discs and it would mean new wheels, when I've already got plenty of suitable ones knocking about.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    I was looking at the Bob Jackson Vulcan with the main triangle upgraded to R725 which would be £910.
    I think that would be a keeper though.
  • asprilla
    Yes, it's beautiful.

Pretty much the same geometry as the Equilibrium. The E has a longer head tube but the BJ uses a 1" quill stem. Medium Equilibrium vs 22" Bob Jackson.

Unfortunately 'keeping' isn't something I'm good at. If you haven't noticed my garage has a revolving door.

Edit: I just looked at the ATR and it looks a bit relaxed to me. 70.5deg head tube and 440mm chainstays don't say nippy to me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    Unfortunately 'keeping' isn't something I'm good at. If you haven't noticed my garage has a revolving door.
    Exactly. To anyone else that would be a good point. For you it would just lead to much soul searching and angst in 12-18 months.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Well that was a short consultation period. Equilibrium on the "what you've bought" thread :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    Life moves pretty fast........
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    The suggestions for alternatives will come flooding in thick and fast now then. ;-)
  • asprilla
    EBC had them for £380 yesterday but they were out of stock for 6 weeks, so I ordered this morning from someone reasonably local for £450. They called me a little later to say they were also out of stock for 6 weeks but offered one to me for £360.

I think anything else will be hard pressed to match that.

I'v got most of a Sram Force 10s groupset knocking about as well so I'm tempted to get a cheap carbon frame too, given the cheapness of the Equilibrium. Pity Canyon don't do the Endurace CF in frameset only.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Good choice on the 2016 geometry. Why they messed around with it for 2014/5 I've no idea.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • asprilla
    I think they got a bit carried away and made it longer and lower, which kind of defeats the point of being a commuter / light router / audaxer which it claims to be.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3