Alton Towers Smiler ride reopening

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2016 in The cake stop
Caught a piece on BBC Breakfast news this morning.

Are they basically saying that the crash was caused by human error, in that (minimum wage teenage?) staff are allowed to manually override safety features when re starting the ride.

And that the new safety procedure is that they have to go and get the old guy before restarting it now?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    yeah, something like that. I can't help thinking that the queues will be short for that ride.

I took the family to Alton Towers a few years ago and it really was a dreadful day. We were there about 8 hours, 6 hours of which were spent standing in a queue and, avoiding the really popular attractions, we managed to get on a total of 8 rides each lasting about a minute. Sod that for a game of soldiers.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    People I work with know people there on the day. One had just been on it so was still near the ride. Others who like those sorts of places and rollercoasters said they'd never go there again. This was before the accident they said that. Their reason was they didn't think it was well run and some rides were not safe. These were just normal members of the public who had doubts about the rides.

Personally I have no interests in these places. I get my adrenaline from white water kayaking, climbing and occasionally going too fast down a very steep hill on my bike. If I had to pay that much for the thrill I'd simply not enjoy it. Overpriced and not very nice places to be in IMHO. Each to their own of course.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    yeah, something like that. I can't help thinking that the queues will be short for that ride.

I took the family to Alton Towers a few years ago and it really was a dreadful day. We were there about 8 hours, 6 hours of which were spent standing in a queue and, avoiding the really popular attractions, we managed to get on a total of 8 rides each lasting about a minute. Sod that for a game of soldiers.
    You know what, it would be a whole lot more popular if it wasn't so busy.