How to price a used road bike?

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited March 2016 in Road general
I might be putting one of my bikes up for sale in the next couple of months, but how does one go about pricing it?
Usually i would go on ebay etc and price accordingly with that - but there are no used bikes the same as what i have to go off.

So i am a bit stumped... What governs used prices, approx half of what you can pick a new model up for etc?
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Maybe not the same model, but an equivalent specification in terms of age, frame materials, size and groupset?
    Very roughly you lose 35-40% as soon as you take the bike out the shop due to dealer margins and VAT. When buying used, I always start at 50% of new price.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Put it on eBay at the weekend for 7 days at 99p and no reserve - you'll find out in 7 days time how much it is worth.
  • fudgey
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Maybe not the same model, but an equivalent specification in terms of age, frame materials, size and groupset?
    Very roughly you lose 35-40% as soon as you take the bike out the shop due to dealer margins and VAT. When buying used, I always start at 50% of new price.

Yes that is what i was thinking. Cheers
  • fudgey
    nochekmate wrote:
    Put it on eBay at the weekend for 7 days at 99p and no reserve - you'll find out in 7 days time how much it is worth.

I cant stand ebay for selling, so will sell privately.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    There's no way to tell. I sold my old bike on Ebay, with a reserve. First time it fell short of the reserve (£150) by about a tenner so I just relisted it and it went for £180. I thought about dropping the reserve, but was glad I didn't, no idea why it sold the second time and not the first.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    DaveP1 wrote:
    There's no way to tell. I sold my old bike on Ebay, with a reserve. First time it fell short of the reserve (£150) by about a tenner so I just relisted it and it went for £180. I thought about dropping the reserve, but was glad I didn't, no idea why it sold the second time and not the first.

Putting a reserve on the price tends to put people off the bidding process in my view & experience - hence 99p and no reserve. You generally achieve more on eBay than selling privately (even after fees are taken into account)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    sell it on ebay but not until straight after the tour.