Shorts?? In March???

Comments

• Shorts for me, I think the long tights came out twice this winter. I don't shave my legs so that probably helps.

It's my hands that feel it far more than legs. I've had days when I've underestimated how cold it is and arrived at work with my hands feeling like they've been slammed in a car door. My thickest gloves live in my bag now and probably won't come out for a while!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    peteco wrote:
    This the weather that 3/4 bib tights exist for

Pete

This.
  • Lorez
    Lorez Posts: 23
    I need to buy some shorts so this thread is making me reach for my wallet
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Shorts for me, I think the long tights came out twice this winter. I don't shave my legs so that probably helps.

It's my hands that feel it far more than legs. I've had days when I've underestimated how cold it is and arrived at work with my hands feeling like they've been slammed in a car door. My thickest gloves live in my bag now and probably won't come out for a while!

Where do you live??

You'll find your hands are warmer if you've got covered legs too. You'll be losing loads of lovely heat that way.
    You only get one set of knees. I'm keeping mine cosy.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Belgian booties today was a terrible idea my feet were cold the whole ride, temp outside is 8C add in the wind chill and i felt more like -1C to me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fenix wrote:

Where do you live??

You'll find your hands are warmer if you've got covered legs too. You'll be losing loads of lovely heat that way.
    You only get one set of knees. I'm keeping mine cosy.

I'd never linked bare legs to cold hands, maybe I'll experiment. I always just figured I had feeble hands as my legs feel fine when my hands can lose all feeling.
    I live in Surrey and it's not been too bad this winter.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    redvee wrote:
    Shorts a couple of times this week on the way to work at noon but have put knee warmers on for the 2200 ride home.

The most my legs get covered is when I wear 3/4 bibs or knee warmers. I haven't worn full length tights in nearly three years. I've got a couple of pairs but feel OK in the above.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Longs, l/s thermal base layer & s/s jersey. Although my feet are always more of a problem than abything.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Dress according to the weather, not the calendar. End of.
    Notable example - 16 degrees at 06:30 mid December 2013.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Never stopped wearing shorts, just added leg warmers and recently knee warmers
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    NeXXus wrote:
    Never stopped wearing shorts, just added leg warmers and recently knee warmers

^ this
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    And spent today sans gloves :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • itboffin
    Got 1 mile away from the house this afternoon before turning around for thicker gloves and a windproof jacket to go over my Castelli alpha.

Temp said 9C but it felt like 0 to me, full cloud cover and a strong NE wind very unpleasant
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Went for 3/4 lengths today which was OK.
  • Was out at 7am today in tights and winter top with gloves. Was bloody freezing.

Some madmen were out in shorts including some TT skinsuit aero helmeted nutjob who woooshed by at a hundred kph
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    shorts in March ?? not unless it warms up by another 10 degrees or I suddenly find myself on a plane to Lanzarote or Mallorca :)

it was June I think last year by the time I got the shorts out finally and the way the weathers going at the moment, probably wont be far off a similar date
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Step83 wrote:
    Went for 3/4 lengths today which was OK.

Ditto but still sat on sofa and grabbed my knee warmers before I put my shoes on :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    5c is when my knees get uncovered - I do get some odd looks from other cyclists and even occasional light-hearted abuse - but I hate having my knees covered on the bike. Arms covered to 10c along with fingers. Above 10c is effectively summer kit. In my defence, I've lived in the Highlands for much of the last 11 years and I never really felt the cold even when I was a kid. In response to a comment above, I'm 51 - knees still in fine fettle.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I raced with a couple of guys who had twinsets of replacement knees.. I must ask them how they rode over winter in their yooth next time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    I have experienced, seen and heard some things.
    Life must be the same for everyone.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    knee warmers below 11/12...never tights (don't feel the cold on my shins tbh)
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    5c is when my knees get uncovered - I do get some odd looks from other cyclists and even occasional light-hearted abuse - but I hate having my knees covered on the bike. Arms covered to 10c along with fingers. Above 10c is effectively summer kit.

This. The only time I particularly feel the cold is in the fingers, toes and ... er ... tackle, and then only really below 3c.

Shorts today in London. And since this bloke's not for turning*, that means shorts until November (at least ... went until 31 December last year before the shorts got packed away). Thicker socks for a few more weeks I reckon and I expect to drop down to a ss jersey plus base layer after easter.

* And none of this knee warmers/leg warmers nonsense. Might as well wear full bib-longs. But then again, I have natural sasquatchian leggings.
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    Mentioning Fingers, no mater what gloves i wear my right hand index finger ends up stiff as a board for about 20/30 minutes after every cycle. i spent best part of 14 years working outside as an electricians mate and electrician and injured my joint just below the bone. If i get to cold then i really have trouble changing gears and have to use my middle finger, its a nightmare and something i can see causing problems later in life.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    Reynaulds? I get a cold left index finger tip when on the hoods, sometimes just tucking it behing the lever takes the edge off it. Maybe I need a fingerdom.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • redbikejohn
    redbikejohn Posts: 160
    -2 this morning at 4am so I need to wrap up warm but leaving work at 2pm it was lovely and despite ditching the base layer I cooked. Coming into that time of year when I need to take a change of clothing to work - cycle clothing, as temps vary so much between morning and afternoon or afternoon and evening on late shifts.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    About 12 degrees for me is the cutoff point. Short sleeves somewhere about 14... Sure, I could wear shorts significantly colder than that without feeling uncomfortable (and have done in the past), but around 12 it seems that the "cool skin" feeling is gone, from which I surmise that the tendons 'n stuff in the knees are warm enough not to be stressed.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Reynaulds? I get a cold left index finger tip when on the hoods, sometimes just tucking it behing the lever takes the edge off it. Maybe I need a fingerdom.
    I'm also a sufferer - I'm actually in Mallorca right now and it nearly did for me on the descent of Sa Colobra... Underestimated the temperature difference higher up and just had summer gloves. I'm a poor descender at the best of times but l really don't recommend that particular hill with a random assortment of white/numb fingers... No hot water in the cafe toilets at the bottom either, had to spend 10 mins with the electric hand dryer switching itself on and off every 10 seconds before they were back to normal again.. :D
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    We are far more sensible over here. I only put summer shorts on when it is around 18 degC or warmer and short sleeved jerseys at 20degC or above.

Below that it is insulator shorts or 3/4 knickers, and long sleeve jerseys. Most Swiss riders are similar. It can get quite cold on descents even in conditions British riders would class as summer.
  • itboffin
    Shorts in and out today evening the rain was fine actually but forgetting overshoes was plain stupid
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Looking like a shorts day today :)