Frame protection from zip ties

Sportiveman
Sportiveman Posts: 158
edited March 2016 in Road general
Hi
I have just mounted my bike computer and cadence but have got some zip ties holding cables what do people use to protect the frame from rub from the zip ties?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The zip ties shouldn't move once on, so the most likely time for them to scratch the frame is when you are tightening them.
    Lizard skins & helicopter tape would protect against this. Personally I find a piece of non slip mesh mat to be perfect.
  • A piece of old inner tube cut into a thin strip does the job nicely and cheaply. Looks better on black frames but they all seem to be black these days!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    You might be able to do away with zip ties altogether. I use Sugru mouldable glue which turns to rubber when it sets;

https://sugru.com/buy/?gclid=CMvqmPXq2csCFckV0wod0gsEHg

I mounted a di2 'A' junction box to the underside of my handlebar stem with it and will be mounting a cadence sensor to the inside of my left pedal arm when it arrives...

The beauty is that it can support small items comfortably, sets like rubber so has a little bit of flex in it, but sticks like glue. It can be smoothed or sculpted to a specific shape and cleaned off around the edges to produce a really neat finish and even be removed if required. It also comes in a few different colours. I personally wouldn't use zip ties or rubber bands to mount anything any more!

PP
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    A piece of old inner tube cut into a thin strip does the job nicely and cheaply. Looks better on black frames but they all seem to be black these days!

^^^
    That's what I do.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut