So I purchased a 26er...

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
edited March 2016 in MTB beginners
Only a few months ago, and I love it!

All the new bikes are 27.5 / 29 with 26 barely getting a look in on new bikes. I don't intend selling the bike any time soon so not fussed about resale value.

So my questions are...

Did I make the right call?
Why are 26 shunned so (surely 1 1/2 inches can't make that much differences)?
I know the positives of bigger wheels, what are the pluses of my tiny 26ers?
Would you buy a new 26er?
For a leisure rider like me, are there any noticeable differences? (I'm doing say 10-30miles once a week with the intention of doing a few bigger rides in the summer)
What can't my 26er do that a bigger wheel can?
Which are easier / more efficient to ride (generally Tarmac, towpaths, compacted hardcore etc)?
What size are most road bike wheels?

I thank you in advance!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited March 2016
    26" is actually only 1" smaller than 650B, 27.5 was chosen for marketing as its half way between 26 and 29 (of course a 29er is actually a 28.5" anyway!)
    The only potential issue with a 26 is that new tyres aren't coming along, the manufacturers still make good quality 26", but with time supply of the 'latest' will suffer.
    Other than that, a 26" will always feel a little more playful due to the smaller lighter wheel and tyre (for the same 'quality' level) with less precession.
    The disadvantage of a 26er is it rolls slightly less well (more power is needed to maintain speed) over rough surfaces, it also loses a little traction, but they are small differences.
    Road bike wheels are 700c which is an identical rim radius to a 29er MTB wheel, so yes the tyres are interchangeable.
    For a leisure rider riding for fun a 26" is just fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Road bikes are effectively 29ers. I have about a dozen bikes. One is a road bike that gets used once every year or two.

The rest are 26ers, ranging from 1987 onwards. I manage just fine.

As you own one and love it, I wouldn't fret too much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers folks, reading forums & looking at shiny new hardware makes me doubt my 26ers but as stated, the bike feels grand to me; just wondered if I was missing out?

I guess it's all to easy to be suckered in by the manufacturers marketing boiiocks... I ride on towpaths, nature reserves & bike trails for enjoyment & fitness, I don't compete In world championships!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    26" will be back in fashion soon so you'll be able to say you were ahead of the game :-)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    surely 1 1/2 inches can't make that much differences

Well ask your bf about that.

If you enjoy your bike that is the sole criterion. It was the right choice!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • If I could get another bike now, having just got the Wazoo six weeks ago, I would be really torn between a 26er or a 29er.

I've got a nice range of 26er tyres down in the garage (eg. Super Moto; Land Cruiser; Crazy Bob; Speed King) with no bike to use them on (not sure how ~2.35 tyres would fit on 80mm rims), after finding a sheer on the Saracen's seat tube from the join with the top tube that goes ~66% around the tube. Part of me would love to buy a Two.Two and move over the Recon Race fork.

But I've never owned a 29er and part of me would love to have something like a Bizango.

At the moment, it feels to me that 27.5"ers were "invented" simply as a marketing gimmick to force riders to have to buy new compatible kit.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Buyers weren't given a choice about 26" dying.
    My new bike is 27.5" because 26" choices were so limited. Personally I can't tell the difference. The only person I know who can tell the difference runs 26" wheels on his 27.5" bike because he can't 360 with big wheels!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    can't tell the difference with 27.5 wheels and tyres. I run 26, buying a new frame that is 27.5 is too costly to change wheels, tyres, fork.
  • darren636
    darren636 Posts: 102
    Do you think Running a 26" bike will lessen your fun?
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • darren636 wrote:

It certainly doesn't but I have no real comparison.
  • darren636
    I think there's a lot of grass is greener/ bike envy/ new standards made solely to sell new merch going on in mtb'ing these days.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've not been bothered for all this new stuff my 26er hardtail has been great for last few years I've had it, however pals who ride have new bikes and I'd like a new one too full suspension so gonna have to look at 650b, 29ers.

Don't get me started on plus size might as well get a motocross bike if I want wide tyres.

Just enjoy what you have unless you have to buy new after breaking your bike.
  • darren636
    My next bike will definitely by full suspension.
    Highly tempted with

Calibre bossnut
    Or
    Bird aeris.

Orange prices have become ridiculous - I'd rather buy a KTM 250 cc
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    darren636 wrote:

Absolutely, definitely, positively not.
  • Gotta say I noticed the difference for 650b, worth it for the rolling alone. Although I'm comparing to my old 26 which is steel not alloy and about a decade old!
  • My 26" is the most fun to ride. I actually want to buy lighter rims for it to have even more fun.. Still love it after 10 years! Some manufactures recommend you buy their 27.5" frame for small & medium sizing while their L & XL recommend you to buy their 29" frame. I believe they all serve their purpose. Oh and NitrousOxide don't get sucked in by hype. 29" is no better, take a ride and see what best suits you - you may well be better suited to a 27.5" bike! Good luck..
    Stay positive people :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    your doomed... its over.. give up now :P