Lidl Track Pump Bargain?

poggit
poggit Posts: 13
edited April 2016 in Road general
Only seen the photo but this track pump looks remarkably similar to the Beto one I've just paid three times a s much for-grrr ! . I post it here so that it may prove to be a bargain for others :)
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=795

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Some of the Lidl & aldi cycling stuff is really good.
    BUT, if the track pump is anything like the one from aldi then it is good for about 10 seconds before it goes pop (to be more precise, before the pressure gauge fails & the hose seal comes away from the pump) - although I guess I may have just been unlucky.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    lidl/aldi pumps are a false economy if you ask me. buy cheap/buy twice.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Keep the receipt
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Personally I would say buy one.

£5.99 is a cheap price to pay to learn a valuable lesson 8)
  • I got one from Lidl about a year ago, use it every week and its still going strong!
  • I've had 3 aldi / lidl track pumps.

The first lidl one lasted about a year until the gauge self destructed and it could no longer hold pressure
    The first aldi one lasted about 6 months until failing in the same fashion
    The second aldi one lasted about a year until the shaft bent. Still usable but clearly quality is an issue

I eventually coughed up and bought a joe blow one.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Ditto what reformed fatty said.
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    I've had a Lidl one for about 2 years, still going strong. Use it to keep 3 bikes inflated, two roadies, one MTB. Has been fine so far.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    My Lidl/Aldi one is still working, had to swap the pump head with one off an old pump (I think that came from Aldi a fair few years ago) because most of the time the air came out the schrader valve when pumping up a presta tube. Hose will sometimes get blown off from the pump, although it's easy to reattach it.

I wouldn't buy another though.
  • My one from ~2010 lasted less than 6 months, the Phaart Trump I bought from PX in 2014 is still going strong.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They look cheap, feel cheap, and smell cheap.
    Whether they last 6 months or 6 years, I would not enjoy using one, and would not trust the gauge.

Have had my Joe Blow for years. It still feels like new and great to use, I enjoy using it, and I trust the gauge.
    5 times the price, but so much more of a bargain.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    What reformedfatty and carbonator said. Cheap as chips, was OK for a couple of months then it fell apart. Joe Blow for me too.
  • I've had a few of the lidl/aldi pumps... I would avoid them.

If you are looking to buy a new pump I can recommend the JoeBlow 2
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have a Joe Blow, I trusted the gauge until I bought a Topeak Smart Gauge.
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/smartgauge_d2
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    For the sake of balance, I've also got a Joe Blow and have checked it against my Schwalbe Airmax Pro digital pressure gauge - any difference between the two readings was negligible enough to not really be discernible on the scale of the Joe Blow pressure gauge 'face'. Of course, they might have both been equally wrong but I have never been bothered enough to check them with a third tool.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    lidl/aldi pumps are a false economy if you ask me. buy cheap/buy twice.

I used to buy them. And replace them when they break down. Then I got sick of that, and quite a few years ago bought a Joe Blow track pump. It's still working like new and has been much cheaper PER TYRE INFLATED than any pump I bought from Aldi or Halfords or Sports Direct.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I bought one for £5 but had to take it back the same day because despite being rated to reach 120PSI I could not get it even to 80.
  • I bought a couple of Lidl UK pumps years ago - I left UK 10 years ago, so at least that long ago. I even think it was when I lived in Wakefield, which would make it 14 years ago. One stays in the car and one in the garage. Both get thrown around. Both still going strong.