And another thing....

milton50
milton50 Posts: 3,856
edited March 2016 in Pro race
A place to put pet peeves and grievances during the pro cycling season.

I'll start:

1) People who bring dogs to bike races and stand as close as they can to the riders even though they know the dog will get excited.

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Having been taken out by a couple of dogs on a fast descent and with sore ribs more than two months after the event, I would just say "dogs".
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Astana full leg tights.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Milton50 wrote:
    A place to put pet peeves and grievances
    I'll start:

1) People who bring dogs anywhere.

FTFY.
  • rick_chasey
    Electronic gear mechanicals.

I spent 8 years watching cycling with barely a single issue with regard to gears, unless derailliers get bent. Then suddenly electronic gears turn up and every 10 minutes there's some rider either pedalling 180RPM and going 10kph or it's plain broken.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    That anguished scream you heard was the sound of Andrew Schleck...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353

I spent 8 years watching cycling with barely a single issue with regard to gears, unless derailliers get bent. Then suddenly electronic gears turn up and every 10 minutes there's some rider either pedalling 180RPM and going 10kph or it's plain broken.

Not upset on that Bouhanni Each Way are you?
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • rick_chasey
    Not at all...

but it has been irritating me for a while.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Milton50 wrote:
    1) People who bring dogs to bike races and stand as close as they can to the riders even though they know the dog will get excited.

Having tripped over a labrador at a half marathon this morning, can we extend this to any races?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

But it's allowed bike manufactors to sell more equipment to people that must have the same thing as the pros. The riders have probably received the trickle down effect of this. Although, if they painted go faster stripes on the pros' bikes that would also probably increase sales without disabling the gearing.

Have I ever mentioned national jerseys?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Have I ever mentioned national jerseys?
    I'm with you on that one. It was fine when there were only about five countries in cycling, but now they're ten a penny.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

But it's allowed bike manufactors to sell more equipment to people that must have the same thing as the pros. The riders have probably received the trickle down effect of this.

Why does this help me?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    TheBigBean wrote:

But it's allowed bike manufactors to sell more equipment to people that must have the same thing as the pros. The riders have probably received the trickle down effect of this.

Why does this help me?

The riders are paid a bit more at the expense of the fools on your club run. Basically they are subsidising cycling for you. That's a good thing. It would be better though if this was acheieved with go faster stripes as that wouldn't affect a pro race, but you can't have everything.
  • rick_chasey
    If they stuck to mechanical kit then I would get some trickle down....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    If they stuck to mechanical kit then I would get some trickle down....

It does help you. Your mechanical shifters are now a few price points below the top level, electrical, kit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    some trickle down....

To keep your legs warm in the winter?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    My peeves:

Owners which can't keep control of their pets.
    & idiots on forums who complain about these pets causing accidents - when the blame lies entirely with the owners.
  • rick_chasey
    redvision wrote:
    My peeves:

& idiots on forums who complain about these pets causing accidents - when the blame lies entirely with the owners.

Can't trust animals. They don't think like humans.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    redvision wrote:
    My peeves:

Of course they don't, but the OP says pets and these should be under the control of the owner!
    If the animal does cause an accident it is not his fault, it is the owner who should take the blame.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    redvision wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    My peeves:

Of course they don't, but the OP says pets and these should be under the control of the owner!
    If the animal does cause an accident it is not his fault, it is the owner who should take the blame.

No the OP says exactly the opposite...
  • RichN95.
    I've never known a cyclist to hit a cat. So dogs do have to shoulder some responsibility here for being so bloody needy and stupid.

Some cats in London have even managed to con a local cyclist into coming round and feeding them while their owners/regular staff are away.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I've never known a cyclist to hit a cat. So dogs do have to shoulder some responsibility here for being so bloody needy and stupid.

Some cats in London have even managed to con a local cyclist into coming round and feeding them while their owners/regular staff are away.

Pantani fupped himself up hitting a black cat, famously.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    People moralising about cycling... it's like life folks, plenty of grey areas... chill out (realise this could go in the MSR thread too).
  • dish_dash wrote:
    People moralising about cycling... it's like life folks, plenty of grey areas... chill out (realise this could go in the MSR thread too).

I think I actually preferred cycling when it was sponsored by medium sized machining companies, amphetamine was the drug of choice and the athletes made less than me.

Nobody begrudged them screwing each other over in a sprint for a ham, at least.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    Pantani fupped himself up hitting a black cat, famously.

pantani.jpg

"It was cat, officer. Came out of nowhere. Size of a tiger it was, officer. Cocaine, officer? Never heard of it, officer."
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    A place to put pet peeves and grievances
    I'll start:

1) People who bring dogs anywhere.

FTFY.

I'm used to having to dial down by dislike of dogs in front of most people but I can see that on a cycling forum I'm preaching to the converted :wink:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    1. The absurdity of a WT calendar that puts T-A and P-N in the same week.
    2. Anyone that thinks technology is either the cause of or solution to all cycling's problems (see disc brakes, onboard cameras)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Mankinis. Neither big nor clever and certainly not funny.

In the fucking sea with them
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    someone describing everything as a "negative split".
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    "Was the dog OK?" is not an acceptable question. How about the bent front wheel and the bits that hurt?
  • CO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidisCO fidis

NOT

CON
    fidis
    CON
    fidis
    CON
    fidis
    CON
    fidis
    CON
    fidis
    CON