Tyre Issues

samcivilised
samcivilised Posts: 73
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Im struggling with my current set of Tyres MAXXIS Minion DHR II 2.3 on my Commencal Meta V4
They are setup tubeless at around 18-20psi but don't seem the ideal selection for riding in Scotlands varying conditions

The problems are;
I feel like it washes out a bit on the front on gravel/mud
They clog with mud very easy and don't clear quickly
They give no traction in mud
Seem to get ok grip on roots

I ride a variety of trails including trail centres and local xc/enduro routes which tend to be very muddy in places, it is Scotland after all, so looking for a tyre i can use in all conditions, good rolling on hardback but will still tackle mud and clear themselves

Any advice?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    too low pressure and they are not mud tyres - better off with conti baron 2.4, maxxis shorty or WTB vigilantie. I use the older baron 2.3 for soft conditions around inners/glentress etc
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Find something with wider spaced knobs and of softer compound, is the general rule for mud riding, conti barons, maxxis medusa, schwalbe dirdy dan come in mind but you will sacrifice rolling resistance and tread life if too soft. There is not a tire that can be good at everything
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut