Long distance cycling bibs

Gecko848evo
Gecko848evo Posts: 14
edited March 2016 in Road beginners
Any advice of long distance cycling bibs budget is at 150$....I got the endura fs260 I love them but looking for something better I'm a fan of the gel inserts...size is a large

Comments

• What do you call long distance?

The bib bit is normally the same, it's the pad that defines whether it is classed as long distance, or not.

I've had success with DHB and Northwave bib shorts, and longs. I am a Clydesdale rider, who regularly does 80-100 mile rides in these, if that helps.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Good bibs are good bibs - distance is irrelevant.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Imposter wrote:
    Good bibs are good bibs - distance is irrelevant.
    That's what I thought when I read this thread.

I've fairly recently tried bib shorts rather than just shorts, and after a cheap Altura pair and have Pearl Izumi ones. I find them a bit uncomfortable as the pad has a sort of frayed/rough edge about 5mm or so beyond the stitching.

I would welcome any recomendations for a more comfortable pair of bibs.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    I can recommend some decent chamois cream. Makes it more comfortable since it reduces a bit of friction, soothe the skin and some have a little antisepctic property.

it does last, so it's worth splashing out for some decent stuff. Assos pot I got for £20 lasted me a couple of seasons (though that was about 7 years ago, so prices may have changed!) Cheaper than another pair of shorts too. Rapha stuff is strong on lavender smell if you like that!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Castelli FAR are really good. They have a fantastic chamois and the rest of the shorts are very comfortable even when riding all day. The front is a low cut which really helps for natural breaks, which are a part of long rides. They do have a short cut in the legs though so may not suit lanky riders. Sizing is one size up.

For cream, Assos is good but not great for all day as it disappears after a few hours. I find the Elite Ozone Endurance to be a lot better.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sportful Top Comfort
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..