The Monument Club

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,069
edited March 2016 in Pro race
A simple idea, which current riders would you like to see join the Monument Club?

And which riders do you hope will never, ever join it.

For me, I'd like to see Stybar, Thomas and Sagan gain entry. I hope and pray, but think it ultimately will be futile, that Michael Matthews never gains access.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    me :P.

I'd like to see Sep win.

I always like to see GT riders win monuments, so Froome would be nice, though I wouldn't be anywhere near as pleased as Sep.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199
    I'm pretty sure Sagan will get in, eventually, and Stybar as well.

Can't think of anyone other than Matthews I'd prefer to be turned back by the doorman for wearing the wrong sort of shoes.

Thomas, Swift, and my nipples would explode with delight if Stannard just bowled straight through the bouncer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    me :P.

I'd like to see Sep win.

I always like to see GT riders win monuments, so Froome would be nice, though I wouldn't be anywhere near as pleased as Sep.

I know f all, but I really can't see froome winning any one day race. Am I missing something?
  • rick_chasey
    No you're not.
  • Mad_Malx
    I'll rephrase that - obviously fantastic stage racer, but he hasn't won many races or stages without mtf, has he?
    And there aren't many monuments with mtf?
  • rick_chasey
    Yup.
  • Mad_Malx
    I'm pretty sure Sagan will get in, eventually, and Stybar as well.

Can't think of anyone other than Matthews I'd prefer to be turned back by the doorman for wearing the wrong sort of shoes.

Thomas, Swift, and my nipples would explode with delight if Stannard just bowled straight through the bouncer.

I'm sitting here with (dirty-side-cycling related) knackered shoulder and bruised ribs. LOLs are really not pleasant.
    :lol::lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199
    If Andy Schleck can win LBL then Froome has to be in with a shout at it, if he ever races it. While he may only have taken MTF wins, he's certainly been pretty active on muur finishes in recent TDFs. If he managed to keep himself in the front group then he could do some damage right at the end, but there's the rub.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'd love to see Thomas win Flanders one day and Stybar win Paris Roubaix.

I know this is controversial but I actually don't want Sagan to win a monument. It would stand as a symbol of just how special monuments are, i.e. it doesn't matter how talented you are, you can never take winning one for granted.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    If Andy Schleck can win LBL then Froome has to be in with a shout at it, if he ever races it. While he may only have taken MTF wins, he's certainly been pretty active on muur finishes in recent TDFs. If he managed to keep himself in the front group then he could do some damage right at the end, but there's the rub.

I agree, if Sky got it right he could do it. I'd like to him try.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Cav.

Okay Okay he has won MSR but I'm pretty narrow minded in thinking classics have cobbles. So I'd love to see him have a right crack at PR.

The rest of the classic my man Stybar, Rowe and Sagan in WC jersey... That extends to anyone winning in the stripes.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    For the purposes of clarity, there are five monuments and Cav is already a member of the club.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Hence my second line...
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Chavanel. Roubaix.

'nuff said.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    would be super impressed it Rowe got in, doesn't seem to have the winning mentality/killer instinct to win a race that big, as much as i'd like to see him do it. I'd like sagan to get in, Caleb Ewan, and Pete Kennaugh love the way he races when he is on form and given a free reign
  • Why wouldn't you want Michael Matthews in there? i don't get the dislike for him
  • rick_chasey
    Why wouldn't you want Michael Matthews in there? i don't get the dislike for him

His nickname is bling.

Enough said.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    I strangely like Matthews and normally the bling style sports men are the ones I hate. Not sure what it is about him.

I'd like to see Froome get in, but he needs to stop being only focussed on the Tour.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    wrong thread
  • Why wouldn't you want Michael Matthews in there? i don't get the dislike for him

His nickname is bling.

Enough said.

Correction, his self awarded nickname.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Why wouldn't you want Michael Matthews in there? i don't get the dislike for him

His nickname is bling.

Enough said.

Correction, his self awarded nickname.

Correcting the correction
    Q: And the nickname ‘Bling’. Is that something you’ve been given or something that’s self proclaimed?

MM: Actually when I first started cycling I had bracelets and chains and everything on me – every piece of jewellery you could imagine as well as the low baggy shorts and the really long shirts…so one of my good mates from Canberra, his dad gave the nickname “Bling” to me. And now everyone knows me as bling, I’m not even Michael Matthews anymore
  • I'm not buying it. He looks the sort
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I'm not buying it. He looks the sort

TBF - the dislike of Bling is no more irrational than my dislike of Sagan... I guess he's got the worlds but I'd be amused if he never takes a monument...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Love to see G, Rowe, Stannard and Stybar win one. Most of those I wouldn't want to win one already have one but I guess Bouhanni would be the one I hope doesn't.
  • The_Boy wrote:
    Chavanel. Roubaix.

'nuff said.

This
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:

TBF - the dislike of Bling is no more irrational than my dislike of Sagan... I guess he's got the worlds but I'd be amused if he never takes a monument...

That and I'm not willing to admit that i'm hugely prejudiced against Australian sportspeople.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    dish_dash wrote:

That and I'm not willing to admit that i'm hugely prejudiced against Australian sportspeople.
    I am as well, but happy to admit it. But I like OGE and most of their riders. I'm British so should like system but can't bring myself to - OGE and sky couldn't be more different in attitude to racing & to fans.
  • rick_chasey
    The total annihilation of Pieter Weening's name, (the only other Frisian in the peloton, alongside MSR breakaway stalwart and vegan Tjallingii) turning it into "Weendog', is an abomination and deserves to be pilloried.

The whole 'have a laaaaaarf but git resalts' and their general misuse of vowels doesn't help either.

It's like they have the team sky anglo boringness, and have removed the hint of cynicism and self awareness and replaced it with everything I find irrationally irritating.

So I'd like to bar OGE from the monument club.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Like to join club
    Contador
    Tony Martin
    Stybar
    Vanmarke
    Sagan

Expect to join club
    Vanmarke
    Sagan

Prefer didn't join the club