Bike Weight

June_Rider
June_Rider Posts: 11
edited March 2016 in MTB general
I have a carrera vulcan frame which has been built up and in total the bike weighs around 15KG (33lbs)

would this be considered ok for xc use or should i begin shaving weight like using air forks and a lighter wheelset?

cant work out how to upload a picture, any help would be appreciated

Link to the spec etc
http://www.moredirt.com/ratemyride/bike/35299

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just ride it and see how you get on.
    Don't replace parts just for the sake of it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above just ride it and see what you think.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit chunky, but about what they weigh standard.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • How heavy are you?

you see lots of 15 stone blokes riding sub 12kg bikes...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of course it's fine for XC use, you may struggle if you want to race it, but it will work just fine.

See link in my sig to my old Kraken, that got fairly light.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • How heavy are you?

you see lots of 15 stone blokes riding sub 12kg bikes...

I'm 59kg so I'm not exactly a heavyweight
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Honest answer? Yes, it is heavy for an XC bike. But as others have said, normal for a bike of this price. It is a capable entry level machine.

If I was to replace parts I'd start with the tyres. Stock tyres (and tubes) can hide a lot of weight. You could easily knock a pound of each wheel for a modest outlay.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Honest answer? Yes, it is heavy for an XC bike. But as others have said, normal for a bike of this price. It is a capable entry level machine.

If I was to replace parts I'd start with the tyres. Stock tyres (and tubes) can hide a lot of weight. You could easily knock a pound of each wheel for a modest outlay.

Thats one of the first things I changed firstly, are there any forks that are a tad lighter as I run the same forks but a 27.5" wheeled version
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Definitely - looks like you have done some nice upgrades, but the fork would be the next step. Not just for weight, but performance. Something like a Suntour Epicon.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    supersonic wrote:

Totally agree!!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    To make it into light bike you will need to replace every component there is reallh no point in that. To have a light weight xc bike start with a cheap light frame plenty can be had cheap on ebay that weight under 2kg. If you get a 29er frame buh a exotic carbon fork because they are cheap and light. Wheels that weigh not a great deal dont cost alot. Run them tubeless with good tyres and run it as a single speed. I have a steel 29er that is under 10kg and that is a 2.5kg frame and cost me not a great deal using a similar recipie.

Enjoy what you have but dont go any further than changing tyres and for the love of mountian biking convert it to tubeless.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Kraken when I got it down to about 10.5Kg had cost a total of about £600, the home built lightweight wheels cost another £180.

The older Carerra frames are quite light, but they have got heavier since 10MY.

Some attention to detail, lighter tyres and a lighter and better performing fork are worthwhile (keep the old fork then put it on to sell the bike and keep the better one for the new bike!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.