New Jacket

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited March 2016 in Commuting chat
I need to replace this:

http://www.tredz.co.uk//.Pearl-Izumi-Pr ... _50244.htm

Its basically not windproof. It might just work on a warm day but as a utility, stuffed in the saddle bag jacket it doesn't work. I am well out of the loop, so what would be best to replace that? Needs to be light, fold up small and be decently windproof and even better if it is water resistant...
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,603
    If it fits, rapha pro jacket is the best piece of kit I think I've bought.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    If you want to add waterproof as well, then this looks good. No reviews yet though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-rain-shell-jacket/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • menthel
    The DHB looks a little warm- I want something that is primarily windproof with some water resistance that can easily be packed on a ride but is available in emergencies. I only wore the pearl isumi one today as I thought it might work. I should have grabbed my alpha jersey instead!

Looks like the rapha pro jacket is EOL- none in my size. The Wind Jacket looks a possibility though.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    menthel wrote:
    The DHB looks a little warm- I want something that is primarily windproof with some water resistance that can easily be packed on a ride but is available in emergencies. I only wore the pearl isumi one today as I thought it might work. I should have grabbed my alpha jersey instead!

Looks like the rapha pro jacket is EOL- none in my size. The Wind Jacket looks a possibility though.

Hugely different products though. If you want to reach for the Pro Team jacket then you'll never be stowing it. Indeed, at this time of the year, it's probably overkill over the Alpha. The wind jacket is very good. But there are many many cheaper alternatives to that one.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Hugely different products though. If you want to reach for the Pro Team jacket then you'll never be stowing it. Indeed, at this time of the year, it's probably overkill over the Alpha. The wind jacket is very good. But there are many many cheaper alternatives to that one.

I thought that might be the case- I just really want one that is actually windproof in comparison to my current one! This one would probably work on a day that is already warm but the wind picks up, but not much use for anything else.
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    These packable showerproofs that you fit in your rear pocket are much of a muchness... they are virtually all the same. I have owned a few, branded and not and they all do the same thing... I'm sure yours is as good as any
    left the forum March 2023
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Sportful fiandre no rain light top? It's periodically available for 50 to 60 quid. I'll try and remember to pop it in my pocket on Sunday.
  • menthel
    I may just do the sensible thing and go and poke some jackets in a shop. Probably Condor as they are always welcome to my money! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    planetx 40% stock clearance. I haven't looked for a windproof there but if there is one it will be cheep
  • ugo.santalucia
    Do you want a jacket or a packable showerproof? I thought it was the latter, but if it's the former, then get a Gabba 2... not sure they do it in your size though :-)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Jacket - very nice.
  • ugo.santalucia
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Jacket - very nice.

You clearly read the thread... :mrgreen::lol:
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Damn it - go the whole hog; wiggle are doing san remo thermosuits for 137.5
  • menthel
    A packable windproof jacket that will hold up to a light shower. The one I have isn't really windproof!
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    A packable windproof jacket that will hold up to a light shower. The one I have isn't really windproof!

Then, as above... they are all made of the same type of fabric, they are all the same. If yours is not good for you, that none of them is
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    menthel wrote:

Then, as above... they are all made of the same type of fabric, they are all the same.

...apart from the aforementioned Sportful No Rain light top, which is effectively a very thin, unlined, stretchy soft shell jacket. Can stuff in a jersey pocket and is very breathable compared with other 'shells I've tried. Windproof and works well in showers too. If you can get one in a deal I'd definitely recommend one.
    ...although Gabbas and their ilk are also brilliant windproofs that tend to breathe well. That said, I got my Sportful top for under 50 notes so way cheaper than the Gabba
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Get one of these, they're excellent: http://road.cc/content/review/173406-al ... oof-jacket
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I suggest a Castelli Pave Waterproof if you want light weight and waterproof.

I've used mine all winter, in all weathers and can't praise it enough. Totally waterproof and breathable.

Probably the best piece of cycling kit I've ever owned. They are pricey though.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    chilling wrote:
    I suggest a Castelli Pave Waterproof if you want light weight and waterproof.

I've used mine all winter, in all weathers and can't praise it enough. Totally waterproof and breathable.

Probably the best piece of cycling kit I've ever owned. They are pricey though.

£115 at Wiggle at the moment....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...