Paging Ugo

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited March 2016 in Commuting chat
One for a wheelbuilder.

Zipp's latest hub recall looks like it catches my 808. There hasn't been an announcement yet about what will happen outside the US and Canada, nor what they will do if the current owner isn't the original purchase (my situation). But thinking ahead, it seems that funding a front hub rebuild out of my own pocket is a distinct possibility.

16h front hubs aren't exactly thick on the ground. The DT Swiss 180 looks to be out of production. The Chris King R45 is the obvious contender. So my question is whether I should be looking at anything else. And because triathlete, "does it come is carbon?" (kidding).

If Zipp mess around with this I can see there being a run on such 16h didn't hubs are there are. Quite like to get in early if I can.

And I assume I can't take a Campagnolo 32h front and tell someone to use every other hole...
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i heard that any iron-boy usage voids the warranty which is surely fair enough.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    One for a wheelbuilder.

Zipp's latest hub recall looks like it catches my 808. There hasn't been an announcement yet about what will happen outside the US and Canada, nor what they will do if the current owner isn't the original purchase (my situation). But thinking ahead, it seems that funding a front hub rebuild out of my own pocket is a distinct possibility.

16h front hubs aren't exactly thick on the ground. The DT Swiss 180 looks to be out of production. The Chris King R45 is the obvious contender. So my question is whether I should be looking at anything else. And because triathlete, "does it come is carbon?" (kidding).

If Zipp mess around with this I can see there being a run on such 16h didn't hubs are there are. Quite like to get in early if I can.

And I assume I can't take a Campagnolo 32h front and tell someone to use every other hole...

Wait and see, surely it will be extended to Europe, I don't see why not. If that really bothers you to the point of not using them and nothing happens within a reasonable time scale, then you need to source a 16 H hub. A 32 H will have the holes mismatched in terms of spacing L/R (Each L hole should sit between two R holes and it won't in the 32H if you use every other hole), and not suited to a radial build anyway, because of the high hole count. In the past Planet X use to have some budget rebranded Novatec hubs at 16 H.

Worth contacting SRAM and see if there is any plan in that sense
    left the forum March 2023
  • Wait and see, surely it will be extended to Europe, I don't see why not.

I tend to agree; I am more concerned that they will only deal with original purchasers though. For a safety recall they shouldn't (Cervelo in the past has extended its recalls to all current owners, even though warranties are limited to original owners) but I can see that happening.
    If that really bothers you to the point of not using them and nothing happens within a reasonable time scale, then you need to source a 16 H hub. A 32 H will have the holes mismatched in terms of spacing L/R (Each L hole should sit between two R holes and it won't in the 32H if you use every other hole), and not suited to a radial build anyway, because of the high hole count. In the past Planet X use to have some budget rebranded Novatec hubs at 16 H.

Ta. Thought as much.

Normally I'm quite phlegmatic about this stuff, but it seems in this case the flange ring that fails is there to help secure the base of the spoke to the hub. A couple of people on other sites have had the ring crack already and reported that spokes loosen as a result. Not really the sort of thing I want happening on the road. With my good looks, I can't afford a face plant into tarmac...

Mostly this is about staying ahead of the curve. I can see with a large-ish volume, plus the need to get the claim verified, that the process of handing over the wheel to getting it back could easily take 4 weeks +. It will take a while to sort out what is to be done in the rest of the world, and announce it, and get the dealers up to speed. I'd like the wheel sorted before my first race of the season - which seems a way off right now, but I can see he time getting munched quite easily.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Wait and see, surely it will be extended to Europe, I don't see why not.

I tend to agree; I am more concerned that they will only deal with original purchasers though. For a safety recall they shouldn't (Cervelo in the past has extended its recalls to all current owners, even though warranties are limited to original owners) but I can see that happening.

Naming and shaming companies has become more and more effective - if they start to claim that they only have responsibility to original purchaser then a few tweets / facebook postings can actually make a world of difference; especially if you can link in a bicycle forum, british cycling, a club etc. Local trading standards can be good for this as well

Would be interesting (for a small weird portion of the community like me) to find out what the required relationship between a manufacturer and a user is in order to create a duty of care (and I am sure that is is well litigated already) - it cannot be contractual as most users will buy from a retailers/bike manufacturer. And as it is not contractual I think it would be hard to disagree that - especially in a case of potential serious injury/death due to manufacturing fault - that the relationship is the most minimal one; ie that you are using their product in a way that it was intended and without material modification
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Just occurred to me that I built a few front Hope PRO 3 in 16 holes... so that's an option and a very good one too!

Bear in mind the rear, although not recalled yet, suffers the same problem on the drive side. There are plenty of examples on the web, including on the workshop section of the road forum here
    left the forum March 2023
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    flange ring

*snigger*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!