Shorts?? In March???

Jay_Forme
Jay_Forme Posts: 132
edited March 2016 in Road general
So how many of you hit the tarmac yesterday with shorts on?

I was lucky enough to be on a half day yesterday from work and was home by 1pm, shorts on, bike out and i was off.
granted i had a base layer (top half, short sheet jersery and a wind breaker jacket), But still, i wore shorts for the first time this year.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Still a bit too cold for my liking. Maybe with knee warmers but if you're in shorts at what 10 degrees what do you wear in the summer?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Shorts and long sleeve jersey for me yesterday.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jay_Forme
    @Fenix.....

Summer id have just been down to shorts and a jersey, but although it was cold yesterdyay i manned up and went for it.

@NapoleonD.....

Hardcore! put me to shame.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Frost on the windows and grass shorts under long bibtights, medium fleece thick.

Freezing cold fog this morning, so same again and I suspect we're in for another crap weather year.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    A hilly one in the peaks for me today. 2°C so will probably wear leg warmers. Mainly for the wind chill on descents.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Managed shorts and a LS jersey a couple of times this year. Mainly still needs a base layer & knee warmers though.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Of the three pre work rides I've managed this week two have been in shorts and my Garmin has recorded an average temp of 2 degrees.

However like a girl I wore longs and a buff under my helmet this morning, good job really as the average shows zero...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    As you cycle your muscles do work and warm up. It can therefore be pretty cold and you can ride in shorts and feel comfortable. You may even feel a bit cold and 'man-up'
    However, people have not evolved with temperature sensors in their knees. There is a school of thought, supported by many medical professionals that cold joints are more at risk to injury.

http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/toolbox/knees.html

If this turns out to not be the case then some people may have unnecessarily worn a layer of clothing whilst riding. But if it is the case those wearing shorts in cold weather may increase the risk of injury which may not manifest itself for years.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I've been off work this week. Shorts, arm warmers and Gillet most of the week, but a couple of days without the arm warmers!! A bit darker and colder today, so i think I'll call it a rest day and do a recovery ride on the turbo :D
  • homers_double
    whoof wrote:
    There is a school of thought, supported by many medical professionals that cold joints are more at risk to injury.

Agree with that, which is why on the seventh day the lord invented knee warmers.

I should invest in some really.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    I'm pretty sure the general rule is not to get the knees out below 15 degrees. If you're racing - I'll let you off - but I think I pretty much stick to that rule.

Knee/Leg warmers are works of genius.
  • Jay_Forme
    Knee warmers - how warm do they keep your knees? is it just a case of wind protection rather then keeping them warm? I normally wear a either long bib shorts or shorts with a base layer under them.

Never really looked into knee warmers but if theres a theory behind it then im on board.
  • fenix
    What base layer do you have underneath shorts ?

If its really cold I have windproof longs with pads in.
    If its milder then I wear shorts with some non padded longs over.
    Springy weather - shorts and knee warmers or leg warmers.
    Summer - shorts.

Knee warmers are basically roubaix material - so not a million miles away from wearing your longs -but a bits shorter.
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    Shorts most times. I find my legs are normally fine and it is just wrapping the feet and torso up to keep warm.

Add to that that the florescent white of my legs means I am much more visible to cars :D
  • I'm still on longs with a l/s baselayer and windproof jacket. A few times I've considered 3/4 lengths but thought better of it, mainly because I can't be bothered to shave the legs yet.
  • homers_double
    :shock:
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Jay_Forme
    @Fenix....

i have a couple of pairs of these.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-seamless-base-layer-tight/
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    How many of you brave souls wearing shorts are over 50? Not many I'll wager. If like me you've had knee/cartilage problems I'd suggest this this:
    http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/toolbox/knees.html :
  • fenix
    Jay_Forme wrote:

Well I never even knew they existed ! Technology eh ?
  • Not easy weather to judge what to wear recently, nippy ~1C in the morning, usually a nice ~11C around lunch but quickly falls off from ~1500.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Fenix wrote:
    Jay_Forme wrote:

Well I never even knew they existed ! Technology eh ?

I've always know this sort of thing as 'old men's pants' they appear to have been rebranded. If it's super cold I wear a pair under bib-tights but over shorts.
  • Jay_Forme
    Not easy weather to judge what to wear recently, nippy ~1C in the morning, usually a nice ~11C around lunch but quickly falls off from ~1500.

i also find this an issue, leave my house and its freezing, get half way round and im roasting then an hour later im cold again. mrs wonders why while ride out uses 4 different types of gear.
  • :shock:

:lol:
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Jay_Forme wrote:

are they ok to wear under bib shorts with padding?
  • Jay_Forme
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Jay_Forme wrote:

Yeah they are fine, I wear them maybe once a week under bib shorts and never had a problem.

I did 62 miles the other Sunday with these under my padded shorts and no a mark on me.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Jay_Forme wrote:
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Jay_Forme wrote:

Yeah they are fine, I wear them maybe once a week under bib shorts and never had a problem.

I did 62 miles the other Sunday with these under my padded shorts and no a mark on me.

thanks
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Knees covered til June.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    This the weather that 3/4 bib tights exist for

Pete
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Shorts a couple of times this week on the way to work at noon but have put knee warmers on for the 2200 ride home.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • "No knees 'til 15 degrees".

So, living in Scotland, I'm not sure why I own 3 pairs of shorts. :roll: