Repairing a track pump?

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited March 2016 in Workshop
I've had a Lezyne track pump for nearly three years, and it's pretty much knackered.

Over time, it's got to where the seal at the end of the piston simply doesn't, unless you kinda drive it down hard, and hope it pressurises. It's sort of usable, but it won't be long before it isn't. Very disappointing, given the brand.

Are they repairable? Can you remove the piston, and either lube or replace the seal?

Seems a complete waste to junk the whole thing for the sake of what ought to be a simple fix.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Have you tried contacting Lezyne? They may offer spares for their products...

ETA - this from their website

"If you need a replacement or spare part, please contact your local bike shop or any Lezyne Pro Shop. Lezyne products are serviceable and every Lezyne distributor in each country provides all spare parts and repair manuals"
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I believe Lezyne sells a seal kit. Although for most of their pumps they just use simple O-rings which you can buy for less than a kit. Not real familiar with your track pump but usually the top cap of Lezyne pumps have two small holes which you can use a pin spanner or circlip pliers or ??? to unscrew the cap. Check YouTube or the Lezyne site for videos. Go to their site first as they may have all the info you need.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I believe Lezyne sells a seal kit. Although for most of their pumps they just use simple O-rings which you can buy for less than a kit. Not real familiar with your track pump but usually the top cap of Lezyne pumps have two small holes which you can use a pin spanner or circlip pliers or ??? to unscrew the cap. Check YouTube or the Lezyne site for videos. Go to their site first as they may have all the info you need.

You can indeed buy the rubber sealing ring seperate. If you want to eek out a little more life out of the pump before it completely fails, stick some talc on the seal and it will create a bit more of a vacuum, to allow you to pump until you get the parts replaced.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Thanks for the responses here, guys. Will get a seal kit and report back! Don't have a pin spanner so I might need to get creative to remove the top cap, but I'll play it by ear.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    I'm pretty sure that if you pull out the plunger you'll find the seal is just an O-ring. My Serfas track pump suffered a similar problem a couple of years ago - I took the buggered seal to a bearing shop and purchased a couple of same size O-rings for about a dollar. Put one of them in and lubricated the barrel of the pump and it's still working fine a couple of years later.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Wow. Junk in 3 years. I thought that brand was supposed to be top shelf. You're kidding? 3 years? I've had a Silca since the early 70's. Think I once bought a leather washer and a rubber seal. Still in use. Are you leaving it lay around outside all the time? Even a cheap pump should last 3 years.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Must admit I'm surprised too. I have a basic Joe Blow and it's still box fresh after 6 years use on 4 bikes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,613
    and my lezyne is going strong after five years

it means nothing

anyone who assumes a reliability issue based on a small number of reports and an unknown population base is asking to be mocked
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sungod wrote:
    and my lezyne is going strong after five years

it means nothing

anyone who assumes a reliability issue based on a small number of reports and an unknown population base is asking to be mocked

Not so sure that it means nothing. It could mean many things. None of which any of us can prove. This could be anything but it's sure not nothing. Operator misuse, operator repairing it until it's broke, operator neglect(left outside), etc., etc. Three years in the operators hands and it slowly dies. Factory issues usually surface before this. I'm going with some sort of operator error.