Scuffed lever

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited March 2016 in Road general
Being slightly pedantic probably hear but, had a mini tumble last night with a few of our riding group. one of those daft ones someone thinks theyve unclipped and gracefully do a sideways flop but managed to catch a couple of others in the process including me.
Anyway I have a nice scrape down my brake lever anyone have any suggestions on tidying it up? I was thinking along the lines of a light sand an some model paint.

Comments

• Yeah, it'll probably buff out
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would just give it a clean/polish and forget about it, as repairs often look worse that the damage IMO.
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    Carbonator wrote:
    I would just give it a clean/polish and forget about it, as repairs often look worse that the damage IMO.

I agree with this, friend of mine chipped his frame and attempted a touch up job. looked shocking and stood out more then a little nick.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    If you can find a nail varnish in the same colour it may be doable, then leave to dry for a week and polish it with car polish (not t-cut) and it MIGHT look better. But as said, most attempts look worse than just leaving it.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    Battle scar, leave it alone
    left the forum March 2023
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Step83 wrote:
    Being slightly pedantic probably hear but, had a mini tumble last night with a few of our riding group. one of those daft ones someone thinks theyve unclipped and gracefully do a sideways flop but managed to catch a couple of others in the process including me.
    Anyway I have a nice scrape down my brake lever anyone have any suggestions on tidying it up? I was thinking along the lines of a light sand an some model paint.
    If it is black , just get some hammerite or metal spray , mask of the rest of the shiffters /bike etc and away you go.
    I Scrapped my winter bike shiffter leaning up against the garage wall , did the above and now as good as new.
    regards
    ILG
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Im all for battle scars my shins are covered in pedal strikes from flat MTB pedals. I may try touching it up, ill clean it up first though. I make models so I have some very fine grade papers and an airbrush. If I mess it up I can just remove the anodizing/powder coat an have shiny levers instead!
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Battle scar, leave it alone

Yep, I almost take pride in all my dinks, dents, scuffs and - body wise - scars.

I certainly would never contemplate trying to cosmetically change any of them. I would only ever do so if it was functionally problematic - not cosmetically.

Battle scars.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I am with those who advise taking no action.

Although your soul will have a tiny (and invisible) weep when the first tiny bit of damage is done to a new bicycle, car , motorcycle or food mixer.... in time these little nicks will be lost among many others and will become patina and (dare I say it?) character.

I have newish bicycles with relatively little damage and older ones which are more damage than bicycle. The trick is to make sure they go in a straight line, stop and steer as they should and have clean, lubed moving parts.

Everything else is nothing at all.

I am right. Seek no further counsel. I am the truth and your query is answered.