Return to the fold

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited March 2016 in Commuting general
My commute is now down to a manageable 10 miles each way (from 17 each way) so I am returning to the fold.

I am going to have to take it slowly as my fitness is low and my knees are not great - so I intend to granny ring it and spin for the first few weeks.

Has anything changed in the last 4 years? Has the increased number of cyclists made it any safer? are the lighting options exponentially better.....?

What should I remember that I have forgotten from my previous 7 years of cycle commuting?

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    My commute is now down to a manageable 10 miles each way (from 17 each way) so I am returning to the fold.

I am going to have to take it slowly as my fitness is low and my knees are not great - so I intend to granny ring it and spin for the first few weeks.

Has anything changed in the last 4 years? Has the increased number of cyclists made it any safer? are the lighting options exponentially better.....?

What should I remember that I have forgotten from my previous 7 years of cycle commuting?

If your user name is still roughly correct the main thing you need to know is that the "improvements" to the Mile End Road / Whitechapel Road have made it ridiculous
  • imatfaal wrote:
    If your user name is still roughly correct the main thing you need to know is that the "improvements" to the Mile End Road / Whitechapel Road have made it ridiculous

Woodford2KentishTown

:)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    imatfaal wrote:

Woodford2KentishTown

:)

Canals nearly all the way then. Bit mental at rush hour but otherwise a total hoot
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    lighting options are a lot better...more and better choice of clothing...more cyclists so leave earlier rather than later if you can ;)
  • so....I re-started today and it was smooth. A few confidence related issues with positioning but they will come, especially as I get more speed.

Next step will be to start 'stealth buying' bike parts, accessories and bikes without my wife noticing....